Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

It looks like a good feed zone where the faster water comes into the broad wide stretch to me, in that second water photo. There must be something holding in there someplace.

I like the part where I don't see other anglers! The great streams around me get some pretty heavy fishing pressure.

Fishing was a bit tough today, with the temps I only fished early morning and then later in the evening to avoid the high water temps mid day. Good news is the heat is supposed to break after tomorrow and then the highs are only low to mid 70's so that should help the fishing after tomorrow. Did manage a decent rainbow early this morning and some smallmouth this evening. Even with a bit slow fishing how can you not call it a good day when you are surrounded by such beauty all around you.

CTrlnq.jpg
H3Y7iA.jpg
TSMKFS.jpg
fN2Fjn.jpg
CWytwZ.jpg
RXgs4f.jpg
dCYHd9.jpg
LmmAA2.jpg

Truly stunning country you're in, Steve. As much as I love fishing, just walking through there would make for a good day. Fishing is optional ... catching fish is "icing on the cake".

The icing on the cake was about 5pm today. The owners of the motel know me well because I have been staying here for so many years. Well they came knocking on my door right before I was about to get ready to go fishing. I opened the door and he was standing there with a big plate of fried fish, cole slaw and potato salad. He had went salmon fishing yesterday in Lake Huron and brought me dinner. Can't bet the taste of fish that is so fresh it was just swimming in the lake 24 hrs previous. I think I'm starting to get a bit spoiled here :)

If they start feeding you like that everyday ... be careful. I've seen movies where they "fatten the calf" before harvesting.

That's not the "Bates Motel" you're staying at, is it?

PNwYNm.jpg
BVszDc.jpg
zYbeCM.jpg
kmCFXh.jpg

Fishing today would have to improve to even be considered slow. Spent this evening dodging rain that came out of nowhere. Even with the slow fishing and rain there's still no place I'd rather be . And on the plus side, I made a new buddy named Buster.

So glad to hear you're enjoying the experience. No hurry to get all the fishing done ... you've plenty of time.

Buster looks like one of those guys you can always rely on !!! Best kind of friend there is.

Glad you're having such a great experience, with lots more to go. Better weather is supposed to be on the way, but as Mike said, even if the fishing stays slow, who cares? :) Soak it up and enjoy!

Fishing was brutally slow this morning. Trout water is 70f now so gonna leave that alone till it cools down which should be in the next day or two. Hiked up to the top of Mio dam this morning to look at the river about the dam. Very big and wide water but saw a nice smaller cove off to the side of the dam. So game plan this evening is to hike about 2 miles around the dam and down to that cove. There should be some smallmouth and pike hopefully there. We'll see how it goes tonight.