Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

Now that's a nice looking batch of fish! Bendin' rods and top water commotion ... serious icing on the cake !!!

Looks like you are having a great trip with a nice variety of catches considering the weather issues. Gotta love Smallmouth Bass on the fly. Thanks for sharing those pics. I have yet to catch a Walleye on a fly to date, for here in Ontario I fish lakes due to the lack of local large rivers, for most big rivers are 3 hour drive from my home yet the lake is 20 minutes away to launch my boat.

Q0dadB.jpg

The smallmouth did not cooperate at all today. 7hrs of casting streamers without a single bass. On the other hand, a big fat redhorse on the spey rod sure puts up quite a good fight.

Been just relaxing most of the day. Hangin around the motel and grabbed lunch across the street at the Au Sable River restaurant which was really good. Water temp has finally dropped nicely. Went from 70/71f the past few days down to 66f as the high water temp right now. So gonna head out for the evening back onto the trout water this evening finally.

Water in the 60's ought to be a bit better. Crazy sucker, we see them during the spring spawn acting stupid in the shallows. Up in Maine too in the slower pools.

I had a feeling the drop in water temp was going to change the fishing for the best, and boy did it ever. Had the best evening/night of the trip. It was an absolutely beautiful evening on the river.

Temp was perfect with just a bit of coolness in the air, and not another person in sight all evening. Fished from 4pm-9pm catching numerous 15"-16" walleye and fat smallmouth on small/medium sized streamers. Then after dark I tied on a big 7" long articulated rainbow trout imitation streamer I tie and had a really nice big fat walleye of about 24" just slam the streamer like a freight train. By far the biggest walleye I have landed on the fly rod.

SGlE3n.jpg
U6Aw88.jpg
QEM9PS.jpg
2mAbBg.jpg
Q1ZzWk.jpg
E8EEfA.jpg