Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

I don't know if it was the temperature drop ... or the "day off" you took earlier in the day. Fish thought you'd taken the WHOLE day off ... and were out in force.

Nice tactical move !!!

It's good to see you enjoying the trip, Steve.

Yep, about a week left now. I'll probably be ready to go home when the time comes though. One thing my shoulder (bad rotator cuff) is gonna fall off soon lol. Plus after a long extended trip it's always nice to get back home for a bit.

When you are ready to be home that is when you know you have had a long enough vacation. If you are arent ready to be home you havent had a long enough vacation.

You said you were going to try and hit the trout water when it cooled. Did you do any good?

The walleye and bass last night were actually from the trout water. I went out this morning again just for a couple hours and got a nice fat 12" rainbow. Gonna head out again this evening to give it another go.

Another beautiful night on the Au Sable tonight fishing under a full moon. Nice plump rainbow trout earlier in the day then another nice sized walleye hammered the streamer right after dark. Couple of redhorse really put a bend in the spey rod. One of them was a total monster, thing was as long as my arm and had to be close to 10lbs. Never seen a redhorse come out of the water as many times as he did during the fight. Had to beach him because he wouldn't fit in my trout net. They are a fish that is so ugly they are kind'a neat lol

lkcRi7.jpg
7jRA82.jpg
Iupi8t.jpg
5sMwZJ.jpg
VRPNzV.jpg
hmCQJq.jpg

Normally I have been doing most my fishing later in the evenings this trip, but woke up this morning to a really nice overcast sky and cool temps so decided to head out for a few hours this morning. Paid off well. I hiked down about a mile to one of my favorite bends in the river and started working a streamer through the deeper part of the hole and hooked up with another nice big thick walleye almost exactly like the big one I got the other night upstream.

Ojb5SL.jpg

Hers' my vote that you stay longer on the Au Sable. I look forward to your updates. Each one is a new reason for kicking myself for leaving MI.

Rocco