Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

Great pics, glad your having a good time! Could you tell us a little about your setup on the spey rod? I have a switch rod that I have only used a few times below Foote dam, but need to put it to more use. Anyways, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Great pics, glad your having a good time! Could you tell us a little about your setup on the spey rod? I have a switch rod that I have only used a few times below Foote dam, but need to put it to more use. Anyways, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

It's set up as a skagit spey. Its 12' 5/6wt. I run a Rio 23' 400 grain floating head on it with a Rio MOW 10' T-11 sink tip then about 3ft of 10lb floro then the streamer. The shooting line I use behind the head is 40lb OPST Lazer line. With that set up I only need about 3ft behind me for the D loop and I can shoot out a 75' cast so it really opens up a lot more water for me that I can't fish with a traditional single hander.

Headed off the river a bit early tonight. All the fly casting is really starting to take its toll on my already bad shoulder (rotator cuff is shot). Still have 5 more days so gotta tryin rest up a bit tonight. Had a good evening with another walleye and trout. Lost a very nice smallmouth of about 17"-18". Fought him all the way to net and lost him at the last second. At least I got to see him.

6lgaDV.jpg

cmXI6T.jpg

d026U5.jpg

Yeah it's crazy. I usually get one or two here or there but I've found a couple places where they are holding and found the right method to get them to take. There's one bend that is one of my fav spots and you can cast to the faster water on the far bank and let it sink down on an 8 count, then just as the streamer gets to bottom you can start bringing it back through the slower heart of the hole just letting it tick along bottom and they are just hammering it that way.

They are having a car show in the parking lot next to the motel here in Mio. I'm not sure who was in charge of the planning for this, but they should be fired. Having a car show the same day at the Woodward Dream Cruise? Yeah not smart. They are lucky if there are a dozen cars here lol

UqQPGu.jpg

Threw some big ol streamers tonight. Nothing big fish wise but was nice to put a bend in the fly rod again after striking out last night. My fishing buddy Mark will be here tomorrow to fish with me for two days before I head back home and we plan to fish our favorite trout stretch which we have not hit yet this year. So have some high hopes for a decent trout or two over the next 2 days. We'll see.

mnJOXp.jpg
8B0j0n.jpg
982hna.jpg
pNC65P.jpg
6RWhyb.jpg

Except for your shoulder, I would understand if you never left that place. Beautiful scenery, beautiful river and beautiful fish ...

Winter ... Winter would be a reason to leave there.

Keep enjoying it as long as you can !!!

Yeah as always with a long extended trip, as you get towards the end it's bittersweet. I hate to leave in a couple days, but I think I'm getting there. My shoulder is really worn out now. Been applying heat and ice to it and its just trashed. Plus my sciatica is really bothering me from all the walking every day, as well as blisters on two of my toes, multiple cuts and bites, I think another 2 days and I'll be ready to head back home for a bit to recoup from this long trip.

...shoulder is really worn out now. Been applying heat and ice to it and its just trashed. Plus my sciatica is really bothering me from all the walking every day, as well as blisters on two of my toes, multiple cuts and bites....

All signs of a successful fishing trip (at least for us middle-aged folk) and, in a larger sense, a life well-lived. :) I've really been enjoying your daily reports on your trip...enjoy the last few days and safe travels when you head home.

Yeah as always with a long extended trip, as you get towards the end it's bittersweet. I hate to leave in a couple days, but I think I'm getting there. My shoulder is really worn out now. Been applying heat and ice to it and its just trashed. Plus my sciatica is really bothering me from all the walking every day, as well as blisters on two of my toes, multiple cuts and bites, I think another 2 days and I'll be ready to head back home for a bit to recoup from this long trip.

Sounds like one of my fishing trip, except its both of my shoulders from paddling, blisters on my hands from paddling, sunburn, bug bites. etc.... Wouldn't trade it for anything

nhVlZp.jpg
lWcVQD.jpg
LqYtvb.jpg
ABM299.jpg

Mark and I fished one of our favorite trout sections this evening after he got here. I didn't get anything big but did get some very pretty trout. One of the bows had more spots on it than most bows I have caught. And even got a brook trout which is really not too common for this section of the river.