Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicente

Florida mid September

So we've got a trip planned for Florida mid-end of September. I'm planning on bringing my 8 at fly rod and a spinning rod or 2 planning on fishing as much as possible, we may rent a boat 1 day to do some inshore fishing on the coast. Wondering what gear I should bring.

On that side of the state any nearby beach at dawn should hold snook and other species... Be on the beach before the sun comes up and you should see fish so close to the sand that you won't want to wade at all - just keep looking about 100 feet ahead of you as you slowly work your way down the beach... The game is pretty much over when everyone else shows up - but right at dawn with the sun at your back working small white flies is the thing I'd be doing... You can replicate it again right at dusk (preferably after the storms have cleared everyone off the beach - if there is such a thing in the afternoon...). Your 8wt with a floating line will do the trick.]

If you're anywhere near Sanibel there's a small fly shop there worth a look... and Norm's Crystal Schminnow is a staple up and down the Gulf coast...

4SSXs4c.jpg

this is my version of that shop's famous pattern, done up on a #4 Mustad 34007 hook. There's doesn't have a weedguard since you don't need one in that world (like you would down in the 'glades where I am...).

Night time can also be very productive -particularly if you're near any ocean inlets or places where rivers drain into the Gulf... Look for any docks that allow public access and have docklights that throw a green circle of light on the water. If at all possible - cast to the lights without standing on the dock at all... The fish will do the rest. If you have to be on the dock to reach the light, walk like a burglar or a ninja or something... Fish holding in docklights are very sensitive to anyone walking on their dock... Small white flies again - along with shrimp patterns will work for you. The best docklights will be in at least four or more feet of water on docks that have a noticeable current. The lit up areas will attract any nearby baitfish, shrimp, and small crabs. Even when you're not fishing - just watching how the predators use the light to their advantage is always a fascination for me...

Too bad you're looking for salt. If you were closer to Daytona Beach/Deltona ... we could go for St. Johns River bass and sunfish.

I might be open to that too Mike we'll see if I've got any chance at peacocks we will be after those too it's a major fish on my brother inlaws bucket list.

Thanks for the info Bob, I'll tie some of those up, looks like i'll have to make a trip to the fly shop for white maraboo.

All I ever use is 3-4 inch strung blood quill for my maribou... Thank heavens everyone eats turkey so we'll never run out of relatively cheap maribou in every color under the sun...

The only fishing I’ve done up that way was from the old skyway bridge fishing pier. It can be hit or miss, but you won’t be tossing a fly from there. If you’re serious about wanting to catch peacock it’d be a 4+ hour drive south east. The farthest north that they are found is West Palm on the east coast. I’d offer to take y’all out, but I’ll hopefully be in the middle of relocating by then.

For anyone wanting peacocks here in Florida... As already noted theyre usually found from the Palm Beaches south since they cant survive colder waters in winter.

The good news is theyre in almost every urban canal and waterway down here and most active in the middle of the day. Think bright colored flies and work them a bit faster than you would for largemouths...

Usually mono eyes for snookin the beach schminnows & also bead chain to lead eyes like a crystal bugger for flats & the backcountry. There's an area south of the Skyway on the interstate you get to from a turnoff with flats to wade.

Their website appears to be down, I tried the link as well as finding it with Google, no luck.

Dave I was hoping to grab the bead chain today but no luck, I've got a bunch of stick on eyes I can glue on them instead of doing the dumbbell style eyes.

Their website appears to be down, I tried the link as well as finding it with Google, no luck.

Dave I was hoping to grab the bead chain today but no luck, I've got a bunch of stick on eyes I can glue on them instead of doing the dumbbell style eyes.

Stick on eyes work with lead eyes, but not so sure they will work like on an EP tarpon baitfish fly. Also might want to remember saltwater floats flies as marabou might be enough to sink the tail end while stick on eyes may float the eye end.