Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Thinking of you guys in Florida

We're in Broward county (just west of Ft. Lauderdale (about 14 miles inland...) and it looks, so far, like we're going to get missed - but still get tropical storm winds and rain... I'll be glad when it's long gone. I actually have two orders meant for central and northern portions of the state, along the coast that I won't be shipping out until I verify that my customers are okay and receiving mail service...

There's always a big fall off after a storm as far as charters go. Most up north will see lots of damage and disaster pics and my phone won't be ringing much. If you live in the tropics a hurricane is almost certain - eventually. What we never know is the when - and the size of the dog coming to bite you....

Hope those in central and northeastern parts of the state make out okay. As the storm moves north the winds will moderate (as of now the Wunderground shows the winds at ONLY 165mph and as it approaches Jacksonville it's only supposed to be a Cat 1 (hopefully...). To put it into perspective the south florida building code (strongest in the nation for windstorm) only specifies a roof that will withstand a 140 mph wind force....

Everyone that is in the path of the Hurricane no matter where is has hit or where is will effect will be in my thoughts n prayers. In times of need and times of plenty we need to look to our savior for strength.

agn54, I agree with you the press has vastly over hyped many of the recent storms but if you look at footage of Bahamas' Great Abaco Island you will see devastation that brings an Armageddon quality to the destruction. 5 reported dead. No way can I look at what Dorian did to the Island anad think that will be the final total.

I truly don't think the press "over-hypes" hurricanes. We dodged this one.

Say the opposite happened. They say, all along, that it would turn north and not hit Florida. Then it doesn't. They'd be pariah for months. They'd be blamed for any deaths, since they failed to see the dangers and properly warn people.

Unfortunately, people won't take responsibility for their own action ... or inaction. No matter what the weathermen say, they're denigrated.

In this case, they'll be blamed for dooms day predictions that didn't happen. If I hadn't put up my window covers, they would've been right!

A Cat 5 storm is very bad news - and if anyone still has a roof on their house afterwards - it wasn't a cat 5 when it came by your place... Seriously, you can go years without a strike - but if you live in the tropics (or just nearby...) you will get to see one eventually... The areas of the Everglades coast that I fish the most went hurricane free for forty years (1965 to 2005) until hurricane Wilma came along and completely changed the entire coast... And for all the lucky folks who get missed this year.... when the next hurricane season comes around it really is possible to get hit three times in the same year... That sort of stuff might have most heading to their preferred house of worship and asking "Was it something that I said or did?"

Huge difference in damage between a cat 1 and a cat 5 storm... Andrew back in 1992 was a true cat 5 that hit us.... I was lucky enough that at the last moment it twitched and came in thirty miles south of me... Very lucky but we still got 90 mph winds - thirty miles south they saw winds over 175....

South florida has the strongest wind building code in the nation... Our roofs are supposed to survive a 140mph wind - but a strong cat 4 will have winds up to almost 160... do the math... By comparison all the structures along the gulf coast from the panhandle of Florida all the way down to south Texas only have to meet a 90 mph roof standard (the southern building code....). Makes you think about that sort of stuff - at least it does for me...

Lucky again -but the very next time... so you prepare and make sure your home and related assets are as well protected and prepared as possible... Not an accident that my commercial charter insurance has a huge deductible if my skiff gets damaged by a named storm... They want us getting small craft into shelters if at all possible. My rig sits in my garage so I'm better off than most....

Between 60/70% of all houses in Bahama's destroyed. This hurricane has a frightening amount of power. Glad that it seems to be skirting the eastern seaboard. Be safe all.

We're getting gale force winds and 35 mph gust, at the moment.

There have been reports and photos of damages in Florida.

8d7.jpg

It's much easier to joke after it's passed.

It's now time to start thinking of the people in Georgia, the Carolinas and even Powershooter and Peartree up there in Virginia.