Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Another big project in the works

Too funny Mike that's one of my fav episodes of Big Bang. I had to use my Mom's truck to fit them in and as we were going over to get them I told her .."I hope there's not a rat in it like in Penny's chair" lol

Haven't had a lot of time to do much lately, been so busy with rod orders I have been down in the shop 10-12hrs per day. Did manage a bit tonight after getting done in the shop. Got the first coat of flat black paint on the wall that the TV is going to be mounted on. Bought a new adjustable angle wall mount for the 56" flat screen LED TV I plan to move up there. Bought a really nice 8'6" x 11" area rug today that was an incredibly expensive rug when new but I got a hell of a great deal on it used from someone that worked at the store that sells them. Its crazy how much heavier a quality rug is than a cheap one. This thing has got to be close to 200lbs blink.png

Fiber optics for the star ceiling were ordered last week and should be here by Oct 1st. Also started buying some really cool Game of Thrones & Lord of the Rings movie posters.

It's nice to be single biggrin.png

Picked up the 4x8 sheet of 3/4 MDF today that I plan to use for blocking the window and mounting the Tv too. After carrying it upstairs alone I only have one thing to say. DON'T lol. 3/4 mdf is friggin HEAVVVVYblink.png

Agreed ... I just got done moving three 4'x8'x3/4" plywood around to cut them up. I can only imagine trying to muscle them up a flight or two of stairs.

Sometimes I wonder if I didn't keep busy if I would just shrivel up and die lol. I'm still working my way through that huge order of all those euro nymphing rods (getting close to done on those) so after about 8-9hrs of rod work down in the shop today I headed back up to the attic and did some more work. Got the plastic seal covering over the window because I cut and screwed the 3/4 MDF over it. Framed out the edge of the MDF, got the new tilting mount on the wall, painted it all flat black and got the Tv moved from the shop to it's new home on the wall. Should be just about perfect viewing height. I measure to about eye level with me sitting in the new recliners which was about 41", so I put the center of the mount at 41" so the middle of the screen is eye level.

YZEqoc.jpg
sw5N36.jpg

That's not the one that is at the work bench. I have a 32" directly in front of me at the bench. This is the big one that was in the office area which I rarely used because it was quite big for where it was in there.

After 2 weeks of 10hr days on rods I had to take a break from rod work for today before I lost my mind. But as usual I can't take a real "break" so doing some work on the theater room today. Started working on the new ceiling. Fiber optic star kit I think should be here tomorrow or Tuesday hopefully so just getting the new panels ready for them. This is not fun doing ceiling work by yourself, especially when you have two bad rotator cuffs. Using 1/2" MDF cut into 2' x 4' tiles and painted flat black. These will be drilled to accept the fiber optic cables once the kit gets here. Using spacers to drop the main ceiling down about 3" that way it will give all the fiber optic filiments room to have gentle curves and not pinch any of them at sharp angles cutting down on the light continuity through out the filiment to the "star" at the end.

After much trial and error on how to do this alone I finally started using a 3rd hand piece of wood to help while I get each panel in place. I'll then remove those and fill/paint the small holes left behind by those when done. When you are working alone you find where there's a will there's a way.

mzXh9o.jpg
VfiwdC.jpg

Make a T out of 2 by 4's that is slightly taller then your new ceiling. Nail a ledger around the top of the walls. Put one edge of ceiling board on ledger and prop the other end up by wedging the tee under it. I dry wall ceilings like this. Easy peasy

Thought of that after watching some youtube drywall videos last night but the problem with using a T is once I get the fiber optic strand installed they have to hang through the panel until the panel is mounted up for good, then you trim them. So if I used a T the pressure from the T itself against the face of the panel full of fiber stands would kink/bend the strands and cause issues with the "stars".

If it were just drywall or MDF painted panels then yep your suggestion would work like a charm, but the fiber optics throw a monkey wrench into the works. It's working out well this way thought thankfully, I'm about to put the 4th panel up in a bit so all is going pretty well.

"When you are working alone you find where there's a will there's a way."
--And it gives you some insight as you see so many professional working in pairs, or more.. : )
That said, do you think a "sling" may have helped you to manage the 4-by-8 sheets any better?
I saw some contraption that supports the bottom side of one, so you can carry it more like a suitcase, under your arm.
My house has just 1 level so I don't have vast experience. But you remind me of why I like my steel-toed boots.
Bill

Aaaaah! I have no idea what a star ceiling is so I can't wait to see the finished product.

Basically what a star ceiling is is a flat black ceiling that looks like the night sky full of twinkling stars on the ceiling. It's done with very thin fiber optic filaments that are ran to a light source engine which powers the light to the end of the fiber optic strand . The concept is pretty simple, but the installation is REALLY time consuming and tedious. You have to drill each panel with tiny holes then thread the tiny fiber optic filament through it and glue the back of it. Once you do that to each panel then you raise the panel up in place and then trim the fiber strands flush with the panel.

I'll snap a pic of the one I am working on now and show ya in a bit. Waiting on some cork to build a 9wt rod but since that isn't due in for a few days I was glad to have a day or two to work on the theater room. But bad thing is as my luck has it it is 87f here today and right now no AC in the attic so it's about 120f working up there todayblink.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.