Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

100 miles on Beaver Creek Alaska

If it's a white flakey non fishy tasting fish I'm going to grayling to my retirement fishing list. I've heard of them before but I've never seen one. They are a different looking fish with that big fin.

Yep, it's all that. I'd be happy to help you find some if you ever get up to Fairbanks.
Me and the wife have started exploring America. Alaska is definitely on the list. One day.

On another note, working on my boat is one of my many pleasures. Just changed out the spark plugs and shimmed out the impeller in preparation for a quick smallmouth trip tomorrow. Been having a rough year though and the water is super low and crystal clear right now. Weather will be just right though.

If it's a white flakey non fishy tasting fish I'm going to grayling to my retirement fishing list. I've heard of them before but I've never seen one. They are a different looking fish with that big fin.

Yep, it's all that. I'd be happy to help you find some if you ever get up to Fairbanks.
Me and the wife have started exploring America. Alaska is definitely on the list. One day.

On another note, working on my boat is one of my many pleasures. Just changed out the spark plugs and shimmed out the impeller in preparation for a quick smallmouth trip tomorrow. Been having a rough year though and the water is super low and crystal clear right now. Weather will be just right though.

Let me know when your plans firm up a little.

Don't wait too long, Poopdeck. Wife and I have been to all 50 States.

It's definitely a conversation starter!

If the subject comes up, and I tell my students that fact, it's an immediate response of "wow"!

(Or the younger generation's equivalent)

Alaska was a two week trip, and we didn't have enough time. But it was beautiful in July ... and really weird to never have "night".

If the subject comes up, and I tell my students that fact, it's an immediate response of "wow"!

Alaska was a two week trip, and we didn't have enough time. But it was beautiful in July ... and really weird to never have "night".

I just have Alaska and Hawaii left, I would kind of prefer to do ak with a friend instead of my wife, so Hawaii will be easier to convince her to approve of.

I just have Alaska and Hawaii left, I would kind of prefer to do ak with a friend instead of my wife, so Hawaii will be easier to convince her to approve of.

If you get up here, come by the shop, we'll talk knives, and fishin'.

I didn't fish Alaska. Didn't miss it, either, as Wife and I had a fantastic time seeing as much as we could fit in.

I didn't fish Alaska. Didn't miss it, either, as Wife and I had a fantastic time seeing as much as we could fit in.

If you ever come up again and want to fish, let me know.

I have been To Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, England, Mexico, a few Caribbean islands, Hawaii and a few other places in the good ole USA. Hawaii stands head and shoulders above them all. There isn't even a close second to Hawaii. I went with my wife. I would take my best friend to Hawaii and my wife to Alaska. I'm guessing Alaska would be a close second but who knows maybe it will take over the number one spot.

In a few more years my plan is a 5th wheel RV and a couple months in Alaska followed by winter in Florida or possibly Phoenix. Florida is just to oppressive humidity wise.

Weather's nice during the Winter. Even the humidity levels are more "Northerner Friendly" during the "cold" months. But I know several people who prefer Arizona to Florida for Snowbirding.

I have been To Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, England, Mexico, a few Caribbean islands, Hawaii and a few other places in the good ole USA. Hawaii stands head and shoulders above them all. There isn't even a close second to Hawaii. I went with my wife. I would take my best friend to Hawaii and my wife to Alaska. I'm guessing Alaska would be a close second but who knows maybe it will take over the number one spot.

In a few more years my plan is a 5th wheel RV and a couple months in Alaska followed by winter in Florida or possibly Phoenix. Florida is just to oppressive humidity wise.

Yea the humidity is a killer even when I was living in tn Florida humidity still sucked, I feel like I need gills to breath properly there.

If you get up here, come by the shop, we'll talk knives, and fishin'.

Absolutely.

Great plan.

What flies/lures where you useing? I love useing adams, ants, and hoochies.

What flies/lures where you useing? I love useing adams, ants, and hoochies.

I mentioned most of them in the original post. Light Cahills, Adams, Parachute Royal Coachmans, Humpies, Soft hackles, P.T.N. (Pheasant Tail Nymphs) and G.R.H.E. (Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear)