Fly Tying
Dubs

Small Streamer Swap

Mrs. Simpson. Neat choice. I've tied them in a couple of different ways before for swaps. I always used the so called "church window" feathers on the Golden Pheasant skin for them. Here is a version of the Mrs. Simpson adapted to a sculpin imitation.

DSCF5374.JPG DSCF5375.JPG

Cool fly. I am still trying to get good at the traditional pattern. I was given one by a veterinarian from NZ, and am using it as a pattern. There are some subtleties, I am finding.

One of the ties I did was to a Breast Cancer outing in New Zealand. That's a staple over there. It's not one of the flies you want to set aside an hour to tie a dozen, more like a couple an hour to get your base and spacing right. I looked but can't find a pic of the standard tie I did. They are nice flies once you get them done but you'll definitely spend more time on your dozen than I did on my 24.

FishingBobNelson I had to look that pattern up. Nice fly.

If anyone no shows or has to cancel, please keep me in mind. Sorry I missed this one. If you have a no show, Have Bob message me on FB.

Baker's Dozen Brown Pine Squirrel Woolly Bugger ready to ship.

Thread: Flourescent Orange UTC 140

Tail: Layered Angel Hair, Finn Racoon and Polarflash

Body: Zonked Pine Squirrel

Rib: UTC BR Copper Wire

Weight: 10-15 turns lead free wire

This is a "go-to" pattern anywhere you find leeches, large stonefly or dragon fly nymphs or sculphins. Best fished unweighted with sink tips. Can be tied on many color combinations--brown, dark brown, black, natural or olive. It is my favorite pattern on the Madison and other SW Montana rivers all summer long. It is also a killer pattern in June on the Firehole for big browns.

post-54233-0-78687600-1569849739_thumb.jpg

post-54233-0-51330300-1569849799_thumb.jpg

post-54233-0-53189900-1569850100_thumb.jpg

I have no idea where the name Heron comes from. Easy fly to tie 4 materials, hook, thread, Wood Duck Flank, Hen Hackle.

post-20459-0-59666800-1569858452_thumb.jpg

Mine hit the mail today. I have a beadhad chartreuse calf tailed Hairwing Royal Coachman and that special streamer that just came about almost by accident. I GROSSLY over hyped it but it is original and I really like the look of it. In my interpretation of small streamers mine are tied on #14 barbless hooks. It is extraordinarily easy to tie and consists of 2 CDC puffs and 2 colors of wires for body. I really think gills will fall all over it if trout don't. If I get out this fall I will certainly be giving it a try.

This was an exercise in production tying for me. Hopefully they are received well and get yall some fish. Bass have been hitting them hard here lately. Do trout even eat crawfish?

They'll be on their way today.

Hook - Size 6 gamakatsu b10s

Weight - xs dumbbell, tied to ride hook point up

Antennae - brown rubber jig skirt

Eyes - 50# mono burned with lighter

Thorax - olive wooly bugger chenille

Claws - olive rabbit zonker

Abdomen - olive estaz

Carapace - olive rabbit zonker, uv epoxy shaped to a point

post-44101-0-31705900-1569948832_thumb.jpg

post-44101-0-10470200-1569948898_thumb.jpg

I have no idea where the name Heron comes from. Easy fly to tie 4 materials, hook, thread, Wood Duck Flank, Hen Hackle.

Bob, I believe that the original used heron, not hen hackle. Blue heron makes a very supple, flowing hackle but is generally longer than hen hackle.

p.s. I m half done my Thunder Creek minnows. I was planning on dong them with polar bear, but when I looked at my stock, I realized that I didn't have any white p.b. hair. So they are done with bucktail.