Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swampfoxforeman

Wader question

I wear mine all the time. Even when I stay at the motel and walk to the river and such, you won't hurt them wearing them a lot. Far as soles I'll be honest with ya, I bought 3 different soles for mine when I bought the boots but the only ones I wear are the rubber studded ones. Not the small studs but the real big ones here https://www.thewarmingstore.com/korkers-icetrac-extreme-sole.html?productid=korkers-icetrac-extreme-sole&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=SolidCactus&gclid=CjwKCAjwldHsBRAoEiwAd0Jyba5-R7QKWY-APv0XoszM9T0UEOfgRhiYb16MeUlEiEs8blCPwdDodBoCVRsQAvD_BwE I ended up selling the other soles I had because the large studded ones work great on every surface (just stay out of driftboats with them).

do u wear these even hiking into the river? Wouldn’t the studs make a lot of noise and spoke some fish?

Yep wear them all the day long from time I put them on at the cabin/motel till time I am done for the day. They don't make much noise at all in the water. No more than a fish normally hears from rocks & gravel shifting around so no worries about spooking fish long as you're not being too haphazard with your footing.

Some quick tips I found through personal experience

1: do not wear jeans under your waders if you use your waders a lot. The seams on your jeans will rub thin spots in your waders that are prone to leak.

2: UV Knot Sense: carry some in your vest/pack for quick on the water repair of small leaks. Like pinhole leaks from cactus, etc.

3: Aqua Seal: store it in the freezer and you won't get the chunk of solid seal in the tip of the tube. I always carry some on trips for a solid overnight repair if needed. It's saved a trip or two or more.

4: Sometimes a proactive approach is needed, seal high wear spots prior to heading out.

5: Kold Kutter studs for motorcycle ice racing work as well or better than the high priced studs and they are about $8 for 250 of them. Use some silicone caulk on the thread when you screw 'em into your boot soles.

All that being said my Simms G3's, waders and boots have been doing great for the past five years since I first got them and are still going strong.

(There's no such thing as waders that don't leak. Hahahahhaa)

I have a pair of Orvis Ultralight convertible & breathable (with the boots - I have relatively small feet for being 6'2" and there is always way more stocking foot than I need in sock-foot waders). I now keep a medium UV glue tube and light in the SUV but have had good luck keeping them water-tight.

In the summer I wet wade with old sneakers.