Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

You're 13? You'd be running up and down that beach like a cat after a laser pointer. If you don't know how a cat chases a laser pointer, look it up on YouTube.

Since I'm definitely not keeping fish these days, I see no reason to avoid Gar. I know the gar in the St. Johns River get to 5 or 6 feet long. So I tied up some gar flies to chase them with the 8 weight Steve made me a few years ago.

Gar fly 1.JPG

Gar fly 2.JPG

Mike,

When I was about 6 or so I would comb the beach looking for nylon rope. we would unwind it and tie it to insulated wire then pull out the wire. Tube flies before they became popular!

Since I'm definitely not keeping fish these days, I see no reason to avoid Gar. I know the gar in the St. Johns River get to 5 or 6 feet long. So I tied up some gar flies to chase them with the 8 weight Steve made me a few years ago.

attachicon.gif Gar fly 1.JPG

attachicon.gif Gar fly 2.JPG

Mike, I have done this adventure. If you haven't before, the one bit of advise I can give you is to NOT yank when you see the gar hit. Let him munch on it a couple seconds before you put pressure on the gar. It allows the fish to get tangled which is the key to catching them on this type of lure. Also, removing the fly after you catch one can be a chore. Close to a nightmare actually. Be careful! They make a gadget called a "Gar Jack" . Google it. After you catch one or two big ones, you'll wish you had one. I made mine myself. Just a piece of wood with some holes in it it and a stick will do the job. Good luck! It's fun and exciting sight fishing. I liked it a lot.

Thank you Meeshka and Silk. I tried it Saturday for a couple of hours. Didn't get a single hit. Nor did I get hits on anything else I tried, except one 'Gill. So, I'm blaming the conditions, not the fishing. I don't like fishing near a full moon, as I think the fish are feeding all night long, not as willing to hit in the daylight.

Whatever the reason, no luck. I'll be trying it again next weekend !!!

Size 18 starling soft hackle

9dVPBLRl.jpg

Nice looking fly- what material did you use for the body?

Olive/brown micro tubing wrapped over yellow UTC 70 thread.

Black-Nose-Dace-2-800.jpg

Blacknosed Dace

Hook - Mustad #3665A, #9575 or #38941, sizes 4 through 12 (size 8 pictured)

Thread - Black

Tag - Red yarn, very short (red antron yarn pictured)

Body - Flat silver tinsel

Wing - (Lower Third) - Polar bear; (Middle Third) - Black bear; (Top Third) - Brown bucktail

Thin-Mint-Wooly-Bugger-800.jpg

Thin Mint Woolly Bugger

Hook – Nymph/streamer style

Bead – Tungsten

Thread – Black

Tail – Olive, brown and black marabou; pearl krystal flash

Ribbing – Pearl krystal flash and copper wire

Body – Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown