Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

BEST JIG EVER!

TIER, your age had nothing to do with being a good angler, or a good tyer or that you devised the jig that you used and my comment wasn't intended to knock your accomplishment. The others pointed this out. We have all likely been in the same situation at some point in our tying & fishing experiences was all I was saying.

Your comment of "best jig ever" is something that we all likely have said when we were younger too. Age and extensive experiences has a way of dampening thoughts and comments like that, but certainly enjoy your success. I know for myself, I have yet to find the best of anything ever, even though I may have thought that in the past. I keep looking as I'm sure others do also.

Good for you for finding a productive jig! That should be one of the best reasons to tie! smile.png

The other night, I was using the best jig ever (for the time of day, depth, line weight, amount of sunlight, water clarity, targeted species, baitfish I was trying to mimic...). Experience will move you from a "best ever" mentality to more of an "it depends" point of view. But it is a fine jig and it obviously was attractive to a range of species in that situation. Keep up with the tying and don't lose that passion.

James, please try not to get offended when people share differing thoughts. As I told you in the PM earlier, My "best jig ever" caught 126 trout, char and salmon in one day in my fish house, but some days, another jig or ice fly works better. Have an open mind, listen to people, be absorbent, be courteous and be sure to thank them when they try to help you.

Mike, You made me spit afternoon coffee. Yes, I caught 13 nice crappie in an hour and a half. But I have fished that exact pattern in the same place and caught nothing on it. My point was not to get hung up on something that works great as being the best ever or the only thing you should carry. Like Mark said, some days another pattern works better. I often change size, color, silver/gold flash, some times no flash, dull/bright, bucktail vs rabbit for a different presentation, I could go on.

Hope you didn't take it as if I was giving you a hard time.

I'll try not to, Mark. And flicted, The same thing happend to me, exept I spit my Mnt. Dew. BTW are Crappie good eating?

Experience. I'm sure your sense of humor is fine ... it's just limited by lack of experience.

The older you get, the less personal you take things.