Fly Tying
TIER

How advanced is your tying bench?

My tying bench is any flat surface I can put my pedestal-based vise down, as long as it has 3 outlets for my lights, or one for a power strip.

Regards,

Scott

I've been tying "portable" since the '70s, the kitchen table, coffee table, picnic table, wookshop bench, top of saw horses, set up on top of the storage bin that makes it portable, pickup tailgate, whatever is available at the time. If I got crazy and set up a dedicated work are just for flies I would have to buy all new tools and materials, so that I could keep being portable when traveling or camping or....

Same here. I have no shortage of tying space or places or rooms for tying if I were inclined to tie in one place, which I'm not. I do have a tying bench in the laboratory but I prefer taking my portable tying station with just the material I'm going to be tying with around to different areas in or out of my house depending on my mood, the time of year and what others are doing. I'm a free range tier and I aim to keep my options open.

I tie where my vises land. Or clamps on in the case of travel. Usually a spot with half decent light.

I've been tying "portable" since the '70s, the kitchen table, coffee table, picnic table, wookshop bench, top of saw horses, set up on top of the storage bin that makes it portable, pickup tailgate, whatever is available at the time. If I got crazy and set up a dedicated work are just for flies I would have to buy all new tools and materials, so that I could keep being portable when traveling or camping or....

If I didn't set up a dedicated work area just for flies, I would not have a work area. BTDT. I took space that really wasn't being used, and moved a desk in. If I had to "drag out all of my stuff" to tie a few flies, it wouldn't happen very often. I've got the tooth picks, the razor blade, scissors, lacquer, Zap, etc., etc., like you all do.

Of course, I could "undedicate it" in 10 minutes, and have a writing desk for company. Does that make it less dedicated? Not sure. But in MY experience, if everything is ready to go, I'll tie more. Sometimes I leave the guitar in the middle of the floor for the same reason--it gets played more that way. YMMV, but this is my experience. My wife left a broken chair upside down in the kitchen for the last week or so, and sure enough after I walked by it 5 or 10 times a day for a week, I got around to fixing it last night! : ) I write stuff down and get more stuff done too. I find that it's all too easy to get through the day leaving things not done. YYMV.

I don't Even Think about tying on the road since there is no way that even one more thing will fit in the car! : )

I have a dedicated area in the room over the garage. Rarely used. I have a portable set up I use while watching TV with my wife. The only time she complains is if I drop a hook. I throw the vise and what I am working on when I travel.

post-54459-0-36933200-1570810823_thumb.jpg

My main bench, but I often tie on the kitchen table and watch hockey games.

plain and simple. what more do you need

QZBDR3f.jpg

That is way more advanced then mine.

So, show us yours !!!

That reads bad !!!

Fly tying set up ... show us YOUR fly tying set up.