Fly Tying
TIER

How advanced is your tying bench?

My setup is as Commerce City (cheap) as one can get. A cardboard box my Materials came in, a block of wood to hold my tools, & a Thompson Model C on a weighted pedestal.

When I travel, I use my portable system.
And a bag with materials.

That's a pretty darn slick set-up Mike.

My setup is as Commerce City (cheap) as one can get. A cardboard box my Materials came in, a block of wood to hold my tools, & a Thompson Model C on a weighted pedestal.

Commerce city comment cracked me up

Mine's a FEMA disaster area. I think I cleaned it up for this picture.

post-309-0-72510500-1571164171_thumb.jpg

My materials are stored in plastic storage bins on either side, and in bureaus that you can see on the right hand side. For travel, usually to a fly tying class one of my clubs has or to one of the fly tying/fly fishing shows that my salt water club has a table at I use a old Sears tool box that holds my vise and pedestal and whatever fly tying materials I bring with me.

My tying bench fits entirely within a 90" closet. The same area now doubles as my drawing and painting bench. Storage is divided between tying and paint supplies. With some of paint storage under the bed. Here is a long view.

post-12074-0-47437300-1571165322_thumb.jpg

then a close view of the desk.

post-12074-0-08415000-1571165491_thumb.jpg

additional storage on both sides, under and above the desk.

post-12074-0-51488200-1571165580_thumb.jpg

After some tying

post-12074-0-59913600-1571165627_thumb.jpg

Setup for art work, I move the small bench out when I am doing some art work, and move the easel forward more.

post-12074-0-25526400-1571165693_thumb.jpg

Since this picture was taken, I have added a riser for the desk which is 2 different sheets of plywood, and moved one sheet higher. I can still drop it back down when I need to tie more flies.

Utyer, that is a great use of a closet! I think there's enough room in there for a third hobby. Perhaps a pottery wheel?

I couldn't tie there, Utyer. My desk isn't super clean or anything and I am not OCD, but that mess would distract me to the point of insanity.

If I didn't take the time to clean it up, I'd never be able to sit there and get anything done. Clean it up or leave ... those would be my only two choices.

The vise in the fore ground of some pictures looks like a Norvise and the post to the left is thread rest, vice in the last pic I don't recognize.

Mess shmess, what's that cool looking vise?

I was wondering the same about the vise.

The one that looks like a customized cross between a Pamola in the back and a Dyna King in front...