Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
walpy

Tropical Fly Line?

I've posted in another thread that I'm headed to Cape Coral for a week in early April - slowly convincing the wife that 2 days of fishing and 2 days of golf really isn't a big ask haha.

But I have never had to think about a Tropical line before being in Maine - are these a must for April there?

Not particularly (for only two days when it's just not going to be as hot as summer-time...). All a "tropical line" is... is a line that doesn't turn into limp spaghetti when laying on a hot deck (and you're fishing is water temps in the mid eighties..). Any good floating fly line will do most of what you want in April (but might not fare so well in the summer...).

Hope this helps and post up a report after your trip. I tell my anglers down in the Everglades that we can do 90% of all our fly fishing with an 8 and a 10wt rod where we are... That 8wt will have a floating line - the 10wt a full intermediate line...

Hope this helps

I have been fishing in Florida now for 8 years. I had plenty of lines when I came down here, and continued to use those without problems. I purchases a few lines in the last 2 years, and none of those were "tropical" lines eigher, still no problems. Last may I did get a "saltwater" line which I liked, but I still use all my previous lines. For that time of year, and just 2 days just use the line you have. Remember to wash it off in the shower every night, along with the rod reel and any other gear you take near the water. Get the salt spray and water off your gear using HOT water.

and while your rinsing off your gear - no soap ever... since all that does is remove some of the lubricants (both for your reel - and the ones built into the coating on your fly lines...

Thank you both for the info!

Can't tell ya how excited I am to get out there.. have done up a couple pinfish, going to tie up some shrimp patterns soon.

Look up these basic patterns...

- the Seaducer (for shallow fishing), the Crystal Schminnow (for the surf and any place where bait is small to tiny...), and the Silhouette (my own small universal baitfish contribution), that old standby the Muddler Minnow (with a maribou tail), and lastly Jack Gartside's famous Gurgler for top water (and whenever there's shrimp around). These will pretty much cover your needs ( while every fly shop will also have a favorite -that they just might sell you..... I'm not particularly fond of most of the "shrimp" patterns since they might look like shrimp - but most simply don't move very well at all.... Just my opinion... I'd much rather use a Seaducer in shrimp colors - or a Gurgler in shrimp colors...

Hope this helps - and send us a fishing report on how it went...

I just used my regular shark skin titan taper when I was down there, no issues.

I didn't have much luck with the schminnow while I was down there, I had more luck with a bit longer streamers, either with hackle tails or zonkers, I did do pretty well with a gurgler.

Walpy,

One thing I just learned that might bear on your question.

I just came back from a trip and fished Tampa Bay, which is not too far from where you'll be. I fished a two day guided trip and the first day I used the guide's equipment. Did really well and the first day was all I hoped except I missed an inshore slam on the fly because the nice red I tied into broke me off on an oyster bar. I couldn't turn him fast enough with the 9#, mostly me not being used to fishing in close quarters. Got one red on bait and some snook and trout on the fly so I got the slam, but well, you know...

The next day I started with my 10#. I figured the extra spine might help and I wanted to use my own set up for the chance at another slam completely on the fly. Nothing wrong with the guide's stuff, just the added personal bonus of using my own rod, reel and flies.

Anyway, I got bupkus for the first hour. I switched back to the guide's set up and immediately started getting consistent hook ups with some snook that suddenly seemed eager to eat my fly. The main difference was the color of the line and length of the leader.

I live in New Jersey and the water here is usually somewhat murky, especially after the boaters start churning it up. I use RIO Versatip that has a chartreuse floating head with typically a 9' leader for top of the column fishing. The guide was set up with a more subdued WF-F line in light blue with an 11' leader. I got a few follows but no takes with my set up. I changed to his set up and was in business. Same fly, same presentation but the fish were obviously spooked by the shorter leader and more visible fly line.

Something to think about. I know I'll be using a clear or subdued fly line when I go back. I might even try longer leaders in my home waters when the breeze allows it.

By the way, two days of fishing and two days of golf seems just about right. For a trip of four days that is....

Plus one for leader length (and composition since that makes a difference as well...). Since I'm working the relatively dark waters of the salt or brackish Everglades I can get away with relatively short leaders (rarely ever will I have a big tarpon leader that's much more than ten feet overall length and those are the longest and heaviest in use ever...). All of mine are set up as quick change leaders with a permanently spliced in place heavy butt section on every fly line... Not far south of us down in the Keys I know guides that routinely use 14' leaders for tarpon in clear waters - and they'd never even consider setting up a quick change leader.

I've found that over the years we do our best when set up specifically for the conditions we're fishing period - and I rarely even consider line color - length and composition of leader materials are what I focus on every time. One other thing to note... I find when we're working shallow, sightfishing, that you even have to pay attention to the size of your gear as well. There's a noticeable difference between how an 8wt and a 10wt line lands in the water and there are places and situations where it might actually make a big difference...

Capt. Bob,

Thanks for that insight. Looks like I had part of it right at any rate.

Its winter here and fishing is slowing down considerably. I'll be tying some longer leaders experimenting when spring finally arrives.