Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Show your best.

What is you very best work of art thats fishing related? Mine is the dumbell eye bucktail streamer.

post-64672-0-46654900-1573320181_thumb.jpg

It can be a lure, jig, fly, anything. anything fishing related

Cheers Mark :)

Another wee one I just tied, a klinkhammer with my own twist.

Hook:B100 #12

Thread: UTC 70 black

Body: peacock herl stripped using erasure

Wing: Antron Bodywool (florescent so easy to see)

Hackle: Metz grizzle hackle

Head: ultra fine ice dub (purple)

post-21388-0-06777500-1573330678_thumb.jpg

Most of dry flies, nymphs and soft hackles aren't very artistic. They catch fish, so I can't complain. I think I spend more time working on my poppers than I do on the others.

This is my first attempt, done many years ago, at creating one of my favorite hard body poppers that I could fish with a fly rod. Works well with an 8 wgt. Probably not artistic, but I like the way it turned out.

post-309-0-18103500-1573606573_thumb.jpg

This is another older popper, 8 wgt size

post-309-0-89287300-1573606744_thumb.jpg

Here's a some I did within the last year or so.

post-309-0-60324300-1573607022_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-40812500-1573607048_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-10514200-1573607068_thumb.jpg

I don't call anything my "best", because hopefully I've never done my very best just yet. smile.png

I make lures & tie some flies! Many types so, would be difficult to select one as my best anyway. I try to make them look good, and so they'll both catch fish & have some durability. To me that's more important than just being artistic.

These are some I've made.

post-17678-0-41995700-1573607700_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-97819800-1573607743_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-88808800-1573607787_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-41364800-1573607855_thumb.jpg

I like the spinner baits and the buck tail. I do tie my own buck tails but not that often these days. I've never tried making spinner baits, but I've re-skirted and replaced blades on spinner baits my fishing buddies have picked up cheap at fishing flea markets. They usually need a little work. One thing I do tie is a variation of the Pig Boat pattern using spinner bait skirts instead of rubber legs. I've had decent luck with them for bass and chain pickerel. I'd redone a body of spinner bait for one of my friends. It looked good so I tied a fly with the same body to go with the rest of the ones in my bass box.

post-309-0-59389800-1573694348_thumb.jpg

Not necessarily art but tools that have been developed that seem to always get Oos and Awhs. More like consumables to me.

My Cdads and schwimps....

D0861-EEF-83-C3-469-A-96-A5-7-CA9-E052-D

IMG-4477.jpg

I like the spinner baits and the buck tail. I do tie my own buck tails but not that often these days. I've never tried making spinner baits, but I've re-skirted and replaced blades on spinner baits my fishing buddies have picked up cheap at fishing flea markets. They usually need a little work. One thing I do tie is a variation of the Pig Boat pattern using spinner bait skirts instead of rubber legs. I've had decent luck with them for bass and chain pickerel. I'd redone a body of spinner bait for one of my friends. It looked good so I tied a fly with the same body to go with the rest of the ones in my bass box.

The spinnerbaits in the photo were made for a friend of mine who lives in south Florida. Most that I make are "better" versions with premium type hooks. These were made with Owner hooks. I tie on the skirts too, as the skirt collars don't keep them on very well & some deteriorate so that they fall off. I've also repaired & replaced them on bought spinnerbaits & buzzbaits. I pour most that I use, and now have 337 molds of various types.

Where I live now, in SC, there's a lot of bass anglers & Striped bass in the lakes are a big deal, so I concentrate on making flies & lures for them. I still know a lot of people who fish the Chesapeake Bay in MD, and stay in touch. Bucktail jigs are still used by a lot of folks there, and many have started using the underspin styles. The jig in the photo is something I made a mold for, and they're a good alternative to the typical jigs.

It keeps me busy sometimes, and I enjoy making them all. The flies in the photos, the flats flies are going to Belize in March, and the Salmon/Steelhead flies went to a friend & co-worker of my one brother. The fellow was going to NY to fish the Salmon River last fall, and my brother gave him a gift of a fly selection.