Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on, fly tying or fishing related please.

Not much right now. I'm having back issues right now and it's literally a pain to sit in a straight back chair right now. I do have a couple of franken rods I'm going to put together over the winter. I have the grip, reel seat and handle in one piece, two of them, and couple of blanks of unknown origin that one of my fishing buddies found in the trash. One is definitely a Dale Clemens blank. I just have to measure for the rod tips and figure out what guides I'm going to use. They'll be spinning rods, and I'll see if any of the guys I fish with will want one. Did pick up a couple of well preserved spotted lantern flies off of trees. They were clinging to the trees where they died in the cold weather the past few days. They were all over the place in the early fall, figure a few of them will fall into the streams. Just have to work out a pattern to match them. Other than that sit back and tie some flies after the holidays.

Just finished my tying desk. At least until I figure out what to add or change. Much better than the duffel bag I was using.

There's actually more light in the room than the picture shows but with the hidden LEDs under the top section and the gooseneck lamp over the vise, it's not an issue.

post-52291-0-53677700-1574037193_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the desk Flies- I finally finished the wraps on the bamboo rod this weekend. I will begin color preserve treatments tonight in preparation for the final coats of spar varnish.

post-63811-0-02531600-1574080853_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-43945300-1574080914_thumb.jpg

Been looking for an easy way to add light to my photos of flies.
I came up with the old barn doors that clip on to the lens and just added plastic mirrors.

77089345_2885838741427415_37531210938843

Kimo

Kimo, I've always been told that white reflects more light than mirrors which sounds counter-intuitive. I'd be happy to hear what you experience.

Kimo, I've always been told that white reflects more light than mirrors which sounds counter-intuitive. I'd be happy to hear what you experience.

Yes, it does. But I'm going for "specular" highlights or should I say "specular" edge transfer on my flies.

We always describe light in terms of quantity and not necessarily "quality". For a photographer a broad, diffuse light, "flat" light, works when documenting an object or even a person.

But I always like something to add "punch" or definition.

Kimo

So when Kimo and norm upload photos, what size ? Seems like when I post photos you have to click on them to enlarge

The dimensions of my photos are 2048 x 1372.
They are linked from Facebook. I think this makes a difference.
I also link some of my photos from my website host, especially the animated GIF's.
Kimo

Got most of my "to do" stuff taken care of (rodbuilding, boat rigging, etc.) and of course all of that was only just a start... Still have a few projects to complete before getting back to tying a few flies for the winter season...

Did a nice repair on a Winston rod (two badly corroded stripping guides removed, replaced, finished with FlexCoat to match existing threadwork.. for a young guide who just happens to run a new Chittum skiff (they start at around $70,000 for an 18' skiff... very high end...). Me, I'm still running my old (31 years old now..) Maverick skiff...

Finished a very nice re-hab on one of my primary spinning rods (strip down to bare blank leaving handle intact, clean off all old finish then water sand blank down to 320 grit, new guides (spin rod with seven guides, Fuji single foots, and top), Flexcoat wraps - and when cured out carefully hand waxed bare graphite blank in lieu of any finish... Now only five more to go.. Also need to re-do cork grips on three fly rods...

Boat stuff

Installed new Bennett trim tabs switch

Re-habbed nav lights switch

Installed new bait well light

This upcoming week I'll pick up a black plexi panel and make a new switch panel (4x15x1/8") for all the control switches on the center console of my skiff.... The panel will provide a mounting surface for four toggle switches, two idiot lights, trim tab and ignition switches.. Nothing like a 31 year old boat to keep you busy...

Still need to re-hab my primary bilge pump base (drop in pump, base keeps it upright and in the correct position for attached float switch.)

Still needing about four hours worth of boat trailer re-hab/ maintenance as well...

Then, just maybe - back to the tying bench... if bookings don't come up (bookings take precedence over everything...).

Bruce

I edit my all of my photos using photoscape pro software and post my photos to post image photo hosting website

I save the original size photo, reduce that to 1080 pixels wide for Instagram and 800 pixels wide for forums

Just finished my tying desk. At least until I figure out what to add or change. Much better than the duffel bag I was using.

There's actually more light in the room than the picture shows but with the hidden LEDs under the top section and the gooseneck lamp over the vise, it's not an issue.

attachicon.gif 20191117_193225.jpg

Owwwww Barracuda !

DFoster and MikeChell, thanks. I had a good time planning and making the features.

Mogup, Thanks. Now I'll have an earworm every time Im put a hook in that vise! :)