Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Flyfishing for grayling, 100 miles on Beaver Creek Alaska

Thanks for posting this video, Mark. I really enjoy seeing your home state. I bet you never got tired of catching fish. Did I miss it or didn't you spot any moose?

Thanks for posting this video, Mark. I really enjoy seeing your home state. I bet you never got tired of catching fish. Did I miss it or didn't you spot any moose?

Only one cow moose. To be honest, we didn't try very hard to find a bull. I have four freezers plugged in already. I have no where to put one. Thanks for the kind words. So for I haven't fished enough to get tired of it but I'll keep trying. biggrin.png

Wow, what a great trip! I might just have to put that on my bucket list. I had to laugh at the underwater footage footage. I was trying to figure out what was growling, I thought it was the fish before I figured it out. That really makes me wonder about fly line noise... I'll start a new post.

Here's the Florida version: Link

Probably one of my all time favorite videos.

Swamp

Here's a video from a trip I did this fall in interior Alaska.

Geez Mark the whole state of Massachusetts is roughly 200 miles tip to tip. For us driving 100 miles in any direction would put us in a whole other state! The size of Alaska is awesome. My daughter went up there a few years back and got me a "Texas is cute" tee shirt. My wife has family outside of Anchorage but I have never been. From what I can see in the vid Beaver "Creek" would be considered a major river in these parts - If you don't mind me asking are you born and raised or a transplant?

Couldn't post the photo- Still getting the Error 522 thing.

D, I moved here in 1984 to be a big game guide, commercial fisherman and professional trapper. I did all those things for 15 years, got married and domesticated a little bit. We started our business in 2000 and now I mostly fish and hunt for myself.

very nice-- I caught grayling to 18" in the Little Tok River when I lived in the interior. I wish I had more time to hunt and fish when I was there. I was TAD in Kodiak during the silver, pink, and chum time, and I was able to fish for grayling a few times, and we had a few burbot on set lines in the Tanana river. Shot a lot of spruce grouse and one caribou, and a few predators. Unfortunately it was not a couple years with much free time. I would go back to the interior to visit if I ever have a summer without work before I die, but not to live there.

Good video! That is some beautiful country up there. I need to make my way up there before I croak, for sure.

5 hours ago, Dominecker said:

Good video! That is some beautiful country up there. I need to make my way up there before I croak, for sure.

Lemme know when you come, I can help you with your fishing plans.

I'm going back there this fall, I just reserved the bush plane this morning.

That's a great video Mark, looks like time well spent, really beautiful.  

It reminds me of the time in the mid-90's, I spent a few months driving up to Alaska from the East Coast.  I had never caught a Grayling before that, but I fished whenever I stopped near a stream on my way up, and was rewarded with fresh Grayling for dinner most every time.  As I remember, it was a nice eating fish, especially fresh from the water over a fire.      

Yes, they are delicious. The only way to eat them is fresh from the river. They don't freeze well, their meat is too tender.