Fly Tying
Swamp Fly

Fly Line Noise

Wait a minute. It just occurred to me, that you're catching fish with a camera on the line. I would be more concerned about the camera scaring fish off more than I'd be concerned about vibrations through the line doing that! biggrin.png

He can't cast fly line with a camera on the line

Mark Knapp can do anything, have you seen his knives?

Mike, I'm not worried about catching fish at all. Like I said, where I live we fish for stupid fish. The discussion isn't about catching fish where I live. The Op's original question was about whether or not fly line noise will spook fish in a high pressure fishery (which I don't have). Then the discussion turned to whether or not the line noise is actually transmitted into the water.

My contention is, yes the sound of the line sliding through my fingers is transmitted into the water. I know that because the camera picks it up. I suspect the fish pick it up too, because they must be more sensitive than my camera. I suspect that a line noise may spook some fish in a sensitive fishery. There must be some reason why very big trout get very big. Some kind of line noise may be one of the things (along with a whole host of other things) that tips them off.

Silver, when I deep sea fly fish, I normally hook a fish, then slide the camera down the line to the fish (there's plenty of time for that when the fish is over 100 feet away). In the video we're talking about the line is casted with the camera fastened into the line two feet above the fly. It's not a fly-fishing cast by any means it's more of a flop. I do that above the hole and float down into it.

D, you are far too kind. There are plenty of things I can't do very well at all, just ask my wife. She'll tell you, in fact, how much time do you have?biggrin.pnglaugh.pngtongue.png