Fly Tying
vicrider

Harp on those kids about seatbelts

I'm a professional musician on the weekends. This past summer I was playing at a young woman's birthday party and at one point the family asked for a moment of silence followed by a toast in memory of her brother. He was killed in a car accident the previous summer. On break I was speaking with their father who happens to be the Chief of police for that town. He told me his son had fallen asleep coming home from work went off the road and hit a tree. The state police accident reconstruction team believe he was traveling at 30 MPH or less at impact and that the crash should have been survivable- if he had been wearing a seat belt. The grief that family was dealing with was horrible and it's going to over shadow every family event and holiday. Sadly this fatality didn't need to happen. His life wasn't cut short because of an illness but because of a poor decision. Wear a seat belt even if you don't care about your own safety. Take a look at the people next to you and across the table this Thanksgiving because they're the ones you're really going to hurt.

Just an update. Niece came home from hospital today. Lots of happy smiling faces to see that and to hear her talk in a normal voice without the hesitation and slurring she did at first. Her leg is in a cast and she'll be in a wheelchair for awhile until she can transfer to crutches. She got a lot of rehab in front of her but she was in top physical condition as a dancer planning to open a dance school and that will definitely make her recovery faster than a couch potato like me has been. Good to see her come home even if it's only to begin the recovery process.

For those of you familiar with similar situations all I can say is seatbelts should not be an option to driving even if it's just around the block or a quick run into town like this was. I hear people say "I use them on long trips and on the freeway but don't worry about around town". I admit I been lax on 25 mph side streets in the past but not anymore. They say that 75% of accidents happen within 25 miles of home. After finding that out I moved 50 miles from my home to be safe.