Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Take the Quiz!

I think your Google Machine is different than mine. I took the test again and Googled several of the answers and I got different answers. smile.png.

It's about the coding though, not the answers. Good job. I write code for my CNC machines, but that's a whole other thing. Coding can get frustrating if you don't do it with a clear head, one tiny little thing can be off and it throws the whole thing out of whack.

When computers were "new", I had a "Commodore 64". In order to play games on that, I had to program them in. We had to buy a magazine, with all the lines of code to create the game. Took days to get it all typed in.

Man do I ever remember those days. I would sit in front of the C64 for 2-3 days typing in line after line of code out of that binder ring little book you could get. Then after about 30 hrs of typing in code you would push a button and a space ship would lift off about 3 inches off the ground. That was it, and you'd be like it was worth it LOL

Then you turn it off and it's all gone. A buddy got a tape drive for it so we could save our progress. Still only worth the effort for one, maybe two gee-whiz's. I don't think we ever bought more than two magazines.

I don't remember the name of the game. It was a search game, where you had to find clues in the castles and passages. You'd get a picture, and perhaps a few moves, then the green lettering would come up and ask you some questions. Then you'd have to go back to the magazine and type in more code to give your answers. Depending on those answers, you'd get more pictures.

I pissed off a few roommates, typing into the wee hours of the morning.

I am SOOOO glad those days are in the past.

It took a flip with me and started typing wooly bugger over and over. Still it was a good little quiz. What was the spoon for pike? I can picture the red and white spoons but cannot remember what they are called. Not popular over here in UK really.

Up here we just call them Red Devils, must be Canadian slang - I believe the red and white spoondaredevil was just one eppinger manufactured, they called them daredevil and had an immage of a devil on the white stripe. but I'm not really up on spoons these days

I kept spelling it the way the company spells it - "Dardevle" that's one of them that I got wrong. I also got the one about where fly tying was originated? I wrote England but it was wrong. That's what it says in Google too. What did you have James?

Just googled it - from the internet:

The first one is, yes there is a lure called the "red devil" made by a rather obscure tackle manufacturer called "Advanced Tackle" in Michigan. It's an all metal lure made for trolling in deep water. This company is relatively new in this business. There's another one made from soft rubber-like plastic by a North Carolina company for fishing tidal areas.

Now...the image that will come to the mind of most anglers when they hear "Red Devil" is another lure that's been around for over 100 years. It's made by an American company called Eppinger Manufacturing under their "DarDevle" (note spelling difference) brand.(picture below) The lure is basically a narrow, spoon shaped piece of metal with a hook on one end and hole for your line on the other-matter of fact all lures of this type, no matter who makes them are referred to as "spoons". Though DarDevle spoons come in a variety of colors now the original ones were red with a white stripe down the middle and were (and still are) often referred to as a "red devil". Millions of these have been sold over the years and they've probably caught more freshwater fish than any other single lure.

It must be a Canadian thing Meeshka, I've been using the Eppinger spoons all my life. Never heard anyone call it a "red devil" I happened to have two of them on my desk, still in the pakaging when I looked at the quiz. That's how I knew the correct(?) spelling. I agree, they've probably caught more fresh water fish than any other lure.

JAPAN! JAPAN IS WHERE FLY FISHING ORIGIONATED! I SAID THAT BEFORE!!!

Has to be a Canadian thing. Back in the 70's & 80's before I started fly fishing we used them all the time and I can't recall anyone here in the states ever calling them red devils.