Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Take the Quiz!

I don't see where you said Japan before. Your are making it hard for us to not give you a hard time.

I see several places on the internet where they say fly fishing originated in England in the 13th century and one that says it was Japan 430 years ago. Just goes to show you, ya can't believe everything you see on the internet.

Check your answers to make sure you spelled them correctly.

My Google-fu shows numerous sources saying England and Scotland.

I guess it comes down to an interpretation of whether tenkara is actually fly fishing.

Not a complaint against the quiz; I know the main purpose was to learn coding, which apparently is working for James or none of us would have a quiz to argue about. ;-)

I see several places on the internet where they say fly fishing originated in England in the 13th century and one that says it was Japan 430 years ago. Just goes to show you, ya can't believe everything you see on the internet.

JAPAN! JAPAN IS WHERE FLY FISHING ORIGIONATED! I SAID THAT BEFORE!!!

Um ... no. I just went through the previous posts ... and this is the first time you've given this specific answer.

Quit yelling!

I wrote England but it was wrong. That's what it says in Google too. What did you have James?

Since Aelian describes fly tying in Macedonia ca. 150 AD, I think you rule out England pretty quickly. The Angles and Saxons hadn't even invaded the place yet.

After a little looking it sounds like what Aelian describes with red wool around a hood (fly) and a 6ft rod with 6ft of line is more Tenkara again just like the Japanese. So again just depends what you consider actual fly fishing. The first book as many of us know was by Walton so that's where the actual description of fly fishing that we all agree is fly fishing comes in, so thats probably why some of us think England. probably not the start of fly fishing but just the first written account of it though from the sounds of it. I don't have a lot of time to do much looking right now, not that it really matters either, but from just looking at a few online places it really sounds like there is no actual one agreed upon place where fly fishing originated.

After a little looking it sounds like what Aelian describes with red wool around a hood (fly) and a 6ft rod with 6ft of line is more Tenkara again just like the Japanese. So again just depends what you consider actual fly fishing. The first book as many of us know was by Walton so that's where the actual description of fly fishing that we all agree is fly fishing comes in, so thats probably why some of us think England. probably not the start of fly fishing but just the first written account of it though from the sounds of it. I don't have a lot of time to do much looking right now, not that it really matters either, but from just looking at a few online places it really sounds like there is no actual one agreed upon place where fly fishing originated.

You are probably quite correct. It's the same with steel, no one culture could be credited with creating steel, it was "created" in a few different places.

30. Python is fun. Good job coding the quiz. You spelled originate incorrectly. Modern fly fishing began in England/Scotland. But....It’s generally agreed upon by fishing historians that the first reference to fly fishing comes from the second century. Roman author Claudius Aelianus described the Macedonians as building what we would now call flies by attaching specific chicken feathers and wool to hooks. And if you ask me the yellowfin tuna record was caught "in the ocean"

Actually, the "all tackle record Yellowfin" was caught off Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. 427 lbs.

The "80 pound line class record" was caught off Isla San Benedicto, Mexico. 388 lb.12 oz.

There are 40 listed world records for Yellowfin.