Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jalberts1

St Croix fly rods

I have not been on here lately and I apologize if this topic has been discussed but what is happening with St Croix and their fly rod offerings? Are they getting out of the fly rod business completely?

I think so. I bought a blank to build on from a supplier on the cheap. I know they're done with fly rods, but I don't know about the others.

Wow, I hadn't heard that!

I've got a few St Croix fly rods, love them.

Hate to hear that they're getting out of that market.

Does anybody know why?

I believe they just tightened up their fly rod line, dropping most of the lower priced rods. At least, that's what I remember reading somewhere. .

I believe they just tightened up their fly rod line, dropping most of the lower priced rods. At least, that's what I remember reading somewhere. .

I think they dropped the higher end. I think the current lineup of rods is made overseas in Asia.

the Imperial® USA fly rod delivers elevated performance at a decidedly down-to-earth price. Handcrafted exclusively in the U.S.A., these rods

From your link.

SC is still making fly rods. They simply stopped offering their bare blanks to builders last year, but I have heard nothing that implies they are getting out of selling completed rods what so ever.

Well that's good news because I think the imperial is one of the best rods at one of the best prices in the fly rod world.

They stopped offering fly rod blanks last year. That was just the blanks themselves they stopped offering though not completed fly rods from them. I don't deal a whole lot with spin blanks but they may still be offering spin/casting blanks from the looks of it.

If I had to guess, and this is just my assumption but kind'a stands to reason. I would guess they ended just the fly blanks because they probably felt they were losing money on them. As one of my blank suppliers I use to get 40% off their blanks. And I'm sure there were many builders set up with them. So I would bet they probably felt they were not making what they wanted off the completed fly rods they were selling so figured they would cut off the flow of blanks so fly rod SC fans were forced to buy a full price retail rod from them.

Again just my thoughts of it, because I don't know of any other valid reason they stopped offering fly blanks last year that makes any sense to me because they were a real popular blank with a lot of us builders.

Or it's just an indication of the dwindling numbers of fly anglers. Considering how few I see, no matter where I am in the Country, I wouldn't be surprised if the fly fishing industry is losing money across the board. Maybe not losing money, but they're not making huge profits. So, the idea of dropping "parts" sales in lieu of completed rod sales make sense.

the Imperial® USA fly rod delivers elevated performance at a decidedly down-to-earth price. Handcrafted exclusively in the U.S.A., these rods

From your link.

Thanks. I missed that. That means I can call them up and see if they have seconds at the factory. It makes for nice drive through the Wisconsin "northwoods" in the summer.

I've had a personal factor tour of ST. Croix by the company president arranged by one of my friends. If you've never seen how rods are made, it's very interesting.

Or it's just an indication of the dwindling numbers of fly anglers. Considering how few I see, no matter where I am in the Country, I wouldn't be surprised if the fly fishing industry is losing money across the board. Maybe not losing money, but they're not making huge profits. So, the idea of dropping "parts" sales in lieu of completed rod sales make sense.

They must all be here in Michigan then lol. Because I feel just the opposite. I've noticed a very big increase in the amount of fly anglers here on our waters over the past 15-20 yrs. Maybe we can ship some down there to ya?happy.png