Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Palurdarium project

Man that's crazy diesel or gas? We'd get down to -20 sometimes and even without block heaters it still wasn't an issue most of the time for gassers. Extreme cold is definitely when I'd want a backup gasser, my heater doesn't even work in my truck when it's around 0 because it doesn't warm up enough at least at highway speeds.

Well, it's gas but it's a ten cylinder. There are so many things that can go wrong, if you don't drive it every day, and I don't, the batteries slowly get cold and freeze.

Sometimes the gaskets on the doors get too cold to squish and the dome light doesn't shut off in a few minutes, like it's supposed to do, if you don't check it, it drains the batteries.

We have moose that sometimes trip over the extension cord and unplug the heaters.

Sometimes the breaker in the house trips in the middle of the night and shuts everything off.

Sometimes the insulation on the wires crack, from the cold, and short everything out.

If it's not one thing, it's another. But, I'm not complaining. It's called life.

Wow , there is such a good joke about Mike and his love of things blue and how some things turn blue in cold, but I digress. This is a family sitebiggrin.png

Oh yeah, that's a good joke.

Basically finished it today. Other than moving over a group of about 25 bloody mary shrimp I just got for it, and add a shoal of cardinal tetras to it as well.

First here's a vid of it-

And pics

6FKC5r.jpg
U5bAJq.jpg
GxE0Jt.jpg
CmqKkc.jpg
ELlTe8.jpg
NUFhJi.jpg
MtG6br.jpg
jm7aRJ.jpg
dklhrZ.jpg

Oh man !!! That's is gorgeous. That's ... as good ... as ... an aquarium! I might even be able to convince Wife that we could have one.

Is it possible for the cold steam over-humidify the shop?

That's a pretty sweet set-up.

I had a freshwater aquarium for years, until a few years back in the middle of one of the coldest nights ever, an inexplicable phenomenon occurred, resulting in me standing outside the window in two feet of snow, in my skivvies, gagging as I tried to get a siphon going while sucking down aquarium water in the process.

I swore off aquariums after that, but something like this would be pretty cool.

That's one of the coolest things ever. I don't see and little turtles though, and maybe a lizard or salamanders. You could do some frogs but then you'd need some frog netting to keep the escapism rate down. Very pretty.

The croaking, is that a CD or have you hidden some frogs in there?

Looks completely amazing. I think I like that more than an aquarium.

Would adding tetras make it awkward keeping water clean

It's actually a sound machine that I have on behind the stand. It's one of those that is for sleeping at night and has various sounds like frogs/crickets, babbling brook, ocean waves and all that stuff. Tetras shouldn't make it any harder. The filter I have on this tank is good for up to 90g tanks, and with the water that's in this only being about 15-20g max it's pretty heavily over filtered.