Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Fin Nor Reels

If I ever quit guiding outfits like that would be worth a trip to hook up with... Of course I'll quit guiding at about the same time I'm no longer able to drive...

Ok, So happy ending to this Fin-Nor situation. I did some looking around on E-Bay and found a #2 AR reel for sale with the idea of matching up the spools with the reel, then selling it all. It had 2 hours left on the auction, when I found it. I made a bid and sat there for 2 hours and no one else made a bid. I picked up the Reel, under $200 and when it got here, It was MINT. It still had the original box, all of the paperwork, the Fin Nor wrench, pouch and a reel that doesn't have a mark on it. Sooo, at that point, it became MY reel and its staying with ME!!! Its a Right hand retrieve model, but after some research found a guy that does RH to LH conversions. I contacted him through a 10 year old email that had been posted on a SaltWater fishing forum. I sent him an email and he responded saying he still did the conversions and would be happy to do it for me. The really funny thing is, since that info had been posted 10 years ago, He had moved to NC and actually lives within an hour of where I live.

Sometimes, its better to be lucky than good!!!

Great! Finding someone that can do that conversion is a minor miracle since once Fin Nor was sold off the first time... The folks that ran the new Fin Nor have never provided that service.

The old Billy Pate reels are in a similar situation. If you buy one there is no conversion available at all so anyone buying one has to get the model they want - with the drive they want.

I still have two of those old Pate reels - and would never sell them... theyre that good.

Great! Finding someone that can do that conversion is a minor miracle since once Fin Nor was sold off the first time... The folks that ran the new Fin Nor have never provided that service.

The old Billy Pate reels are in a similar situation. If you buy one there is no conversion available at all so anyone buying one has to get the model they want - with the drive they want.

I still have two of those old Pate reels - and would never sell them... theyre that good.

I have a Billy Pate reel as well and would never give it up.Fortunately, its a LH retrieve, so I'm good. Its has its share of road rash because that was one of my Dad's go to reels and its seen some miles. It is still mechanically in great shape!!

I have found a guy that does the Fin Nor conversion and am waiting on a quote from him. The last I heard, he charged $35-40 per conversion. I cant wait to get after some fish with that reel.

I'm very fortunate in the reel department - I actually have enough of them to be able to set up my anglers with a reel that winds right or one that winds left - on every rod from a 7wt on up... One of the first questions I ask a fly angler for an upcoming booking is which hand they wind with -and it takes just a few moments for each rod to set them up with what's needed...

I was surprised at how little actual information there is out there on the net about Fin Nor Reels in regards to spool sizes, Anti reverse/Direct Drive, etc..

I have another spool I am trying to ID and its a DD spool, I think. One handle and a counterweight opposite the handle. It's 3 1/2inches diameter and 1 5/8 thick. I'm pretty sure its a 2nd gen DD #4,but again, even looking at EBay and all the above mentioned sites and about 4 hours of google searching, I still cant verify my hunch.

Ok, I got a quote to do the conversion..$50.00. Not bad, considering he seems to be the only one that does it anymore. If someone out there needs a Fin Nor converted, PM me and I will forward his info to you.

Now, I just need to figure out what to do with the Fn Nor #4 DD spool I have. Anyone need a #4 spare spool for a DD reel?

I recently acquired a Fin-Nor No. 1 reel. It is in great shape but is a Left hand retrieve. I would like to convert it to a right hand. Greatly appreciate it if you could send me the contact information of the person that can make the conversion. Looks like the sawtooth ratchet would need to be changed out.

Thanks