Fly Tying
DarrellP

Glue reaction to FTD products. Need glue advice

Silver,

If the UV resins react with the superglues, why would you want to coat them? Does the reaction product produce a more durable protection?

Silver,

If the UV resins react with the superglues, why would you want to coat them? Does the reaction product produce a more durable protection?

Dave,

I forgot to add the "NOT" in my post. Thanks for catching that.

Because UV resins react with superglue, they should NOT be used together. I've had customers who wanted a clear protective coating of UV resin over a fly and the superglue caused cloudiness of the resin.

Silver,

That makes sense.

Reminds me of the guy that sent a dozen roses and a card to his wife on their tenth wedding anniversary. When he got home she hopping mad. He said what's wrong didn't you get the roses and card. Yea, she said showing him the card. The card read Happy tenth anniversary, I hope the next ten are better. He said damn, they left out the word "even".

Maybe I wet them too soon. Maybe it reacted to water because it wasn't cured. Seemed dry, but I had only waited 30 min before running water over it. This did not happen with glue and buck tail streamers. I always run hot water over streamers after I tie them.

Why do you run water over them? Just curious I don't see what it would accomplish that tying them on your line and putting them in the water doesn't.

As a guy who uses a ton of superglue in my tying schedules.. I long ago learned how to deal with any of the stuff that gets on my fingers. I actually keep a small custard bowl on my desk with about an inch of water in it... Wet superglue is instantly killed when you dip your fingers in water (you can deal with the white residue later at your leisure...). A secondary use for that small cup of water is for materials like rabbit or maribou that at times can be difficult to control while tying... Again I just dip the tips of my fingers in water then stroke the soft fibers to the rear after tying them in place.... I don't want to saturate them, using just enough water to be able to control them until the tying sequence is completed (kind of like dampening your hair just a bit to aid brush or comb..). Works like a charm...

Here's one pattern that was tough to tie without the dampening of the maribou...

iYcDDrE.jpg

this is the Natural Slinky a redfish pattern from years ago on a bendback hook (Mustad 34007) 1/0 that I used to bend myself...

I first used this technique while working boat and fishing shows as a tyer with one shop or other in places where you had no control over wind or breezes (outdoors at times as well). The wetted portions of any pattern will quickly dry out - usually leaving the tail exactly how you want it displayed....

Never had any problem with Krazyglue and Solarez. Yall on a different planet? Just gotta wait till the glue dries and unless you glop it it dries real quick.

When attaching the styrofoam balls with Solarez I ve mistakenly glued the tail hacke wraps and had a leak into the foam and had to catch it with some Solarez or the ball will gradually melt. Gotta make sure 100% coverage of the foam to the hook with the UV before glueing eyes/tails.

513-CD0-F1-B68-C-4177-BA01-BF1-BD7-FB388

Capt Bob’s response about keeping a tray of water on the tying desk reminded me of watching Jack Gartside tie. When Jack wanted to tame material like maribou or the pheasant aftershaft feathers used on his sparrow pattern he simply used spit/saliva. I tie lots of sparrows and a little saliva on the index finger and thumb helps stroke the philoplume (sp?) back from the hook eye so you can get a clean thread wrap. On his web site when he refers to dampen the material he wasn’t using water. I’m not suggesting anyone else do this.

I only met Jack once when the National Show made its one and only appearance down here in Miami. Our tying tables were next to each other that day... Wish he were still around so I could take him for a day or two into the back country...

Folks will still be using his patterns long after Im gone.

I've been using Krazy Glue for quite awhile. I often coat over it with UV and harden and never noticed clouding, even if glue was still a bit wet. My real problem is that of late the last couple of tubes of Krazy glue I've gotten are gummy right off the bat. I realize that if you open and close it a lot over time it will begin to pull stringers with it when you take out brush but I'm talking about right off the bat out of the package. One was so bad I tossed it brand new and last couple have been irritating in pulling stringers of blue with them. Didn't used to have this problem and don't know if they changed something or I'm getting really old stock. Will buy somewhere else and see what happens.

My problem with Krazyglue is it takes few openings to get it to tack and dry slow enough to manage. At first it dries so fast hard to get some things to take. Put too much takes forever to dry. Mostly pretty much instant dry. Eventually Ill have to get pliers to open and not unless use it fast itll freeze up the bottle. One of those things peculiar to superglues. Amazing how the brush even works in it. Theres always a new bottle around. Kinda love- hate deal with it. $2.50 a lick. Most times hurry to get brush back in itll last a number of days... never had problem once dry with UV or SallyHansens.