Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullhead

Oren-o-Matic fly reel

Geetings all, On a whim, I picked up two of these for three bucks each at a local pawn shop. Number 1140 model C. Can anyone tell me how they function? In particular the side knurled knob on one side of the reel?

Bullhead

the google machine found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjccCks5SXg

go to the following website and click on the links with the arrows

https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/south-bend-reel-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

south-bend.jpg

the links are schematics of automatic fly reels. it will give you the name of the knurled part

I love my automatic reels. I use them on several of my rods.

The knob on the side winds up or releases the spring tension. Pulling line out winds up the spring, and it's unwinding is what pulls the line back onto the reel. If you're putting new line on, twisting the knob winds up the spring to pull line on. Once the line is on, it is used to release tension (if you get too much line out) or to put tension on, if you need more.

Thanks to both of you! As I wade for in the reeds for panfish it is nice to have a quick retrieve of slack line to keep from tangling around debris. Now to take apart to clean and lubricate.

Be careful in removing the spring, it can and will come flying out of the cover. It then takes a bit of patience to get it wound back in correctly. Had one, and still have 2 that were my grandfathers, but I don't ever fish with them.

I was told to always pull out a bit of line, then release the spring before pulling out enough to cast with. Something about the spring jerking the the tip off the rod if the line was sucked back all the way at high speed. I had three or four of auto winds back when, but mine had very small line capacity.