Fly Tying
siskiyouflyfisher

Vintage Mustad Hooks

Have been gifted a couple of boxes of old Mustad doubles. One is a full 100 of 3582C in size 8, the other is an almost full box of 3573A in size 2. What are these used for? Any collector value here? Not sure how old they are, but the 2's are marked 15 cents each.

They were used for the old Rogue River style Steelhead flies, especially with split hair wings. With you moniker, you might be able to find a use for them.

Doubles are often used for atlantic salmon flies where no added weight to the fly is allowed. Look at Ally's Shrimp for a popular example. These Mustad can also be pinched for a barbless fly. 3582C is still available under $3 for a 10 pack. Don't know about 3573A.

Three or four years ago, I bought an enormous quantity of old Mustad hooks from Ebay...and I mean a LOT. Unfortunately, almost none were suitable for fly tying. I think they were either too stout, too small,or too long. Still, it wasn't all that of an expensive experiment.

Gene perhaps it's more that they aren't suited to what you tie, salt guys tie on some very short heavy hooks, I tie on 5xl hooks fairly often.

I've always called them salmon hooks. I use them for frogs. The bottom one is wood weighted with lead for spin fishing, the top one is cork that will eventually have feather legs.

post-48414-0-26503200-1578101254_thumb.jpg

Gene perhaps it's more that they aren't suited to what you tie, salt guys tie on some very short heavy hooks, I tie on 5xl hooks fairly often.

I can't imagine any of these hooks being suitable for salt...they were way too small for what I imagine a salt fly hook to be, unless you're fishing for small fish in the ocean. Not all of them were short and heavy. Some were 5X long and about 3X light. Don't remember the size, probably about 6 or 8. Some but not all were odd sizes to my American tastes. Odd numbers instead of evens, like I'm used to.