Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

WF?F Fly Lines

Which WFF line do you like best.  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Each one makes so many models I kept it to brand names. Please do share which specific floating line you like best.

i'm torn between chalkstream platinum by airflo and cortland 444SL. LEAST FAVORITE-CORTLAND 555 Ghost Tip. still rue the day i put that on my 7'6" 4 wt. i should just take it off and sell to someone in the bahamas (of course, who uses a 4 wt down there). I bet its GREAT line in the heat, but in cool/cold temps.... its lacking.... BADLY. Maybe they reformulated it since i got mine (as it was new on the market), but man alive.

steve

the Rio, rio grand for fast action rods, the selective trout for presentaion purposes, and all their sink tips for the spey. i only use sa for their xxd and thats purly a distance casting line.

talked good about orvis on the other post now heres for SA i like the GPX really well. it is a quality line and if you like orvis it is made by SA anyway! so why not vote for both i guess.

FM

I also use Orvis Wonderline for Redfish, because of the heat in florida during the summer. Most lines dont work well in the heat down here. Orvis Wonderline works the best so far for the conditions i fish in.

If it's any help my understanding is Sci.Ang. makes Orvis lines. I use Cortland and Airflo.

Rio's Clouser line is what I use for floating line when chasing pike, bass, stripers, and bluefish. It's tough to beat for casting big nasty flies, and it floats like a cork.

SA for floating lines mostly. I still have a 4wt wonderline on my winston right now and that line was a waste of $$$ IMO. Its a good line but it dosent cast any farther or better than the SA line at about half the price.

Sinking lines I like Rio

SD

SA lines for most applications, but I also like the Wulff Triangle taper which I hear is made by SA.

I absolutely and positively hate Cortland saltwater lines. thumbdown.gif I don't know if it is their tapers or coatings but they don't perform nearly as well as SA when it comes to distance and floatability.

Paul whats the idea behind the Wullf triangle taper? I've heard alot of guys talk about it and seen it at the shop but dont really know what the triangle taper is or what the idea behind the design is dunno.gif

hey steve, the idea is basically what happens when a double taper mates with a weight forward. it it a weight forward line, but the head is longer and tapered, which allows good rollcasting and weight forward shootability.

steve

Steve's right, it is a kind of hybrid between a DT and a WF with a very long progressive taper. It is a dream to roll cast and when you have to pick it up and let it rip for distance, it performs almost as well as a standard WF line. I like it on my trout rods, not for saltwater.

Sign in to follow this