Fly Tying
Swampfoxforeman

Best way to dry wet flies

For me, I'm afraid I would lose flies from the magnets on my vest or boxes. When I'm casting, I got stuff flying everywhere. I'm sure a loop of line will get in there and knock some flies off. Mainly casting the heavy sinking lines.

Do you think my are my concerns founded? It's otherwise a very intriguing idea. I use magnets on my tying bench for the very same thing.

I guess I could just try it, that's still 4 months away for me though.

Think I will try making a sock from faux sheepskin with a rare earth magnet in the toe, then zip in shirt pocket. Already have a fine assortment of rare earth magnets from previous project.. Amazing little devices a1/4 X 1/4 inch cylinder will pull about six pounds. Reportedly somewhat dangerous if swallowed by children, pets or buzzed vise drivers.

How does that work with dry flies. I would think that it would kink the tails.

I've never really thought about tail bends, the hackles and tails always get bent in storage and use but seem to be ok after applying gink. most of my dries are simple anyway, woollies, foam bugs, EHC etc; but which is better a tail needing preening or a lost fly?

I guess what ever works, for whomever it works.

try making a sock from faux sheepskin

faux being synthetic/plastic/crude oil/etc. probably won't absorb water, so may not be of any help drying, a simple thing would be to use the toe section of an old natural wool sock the same way

The natural lamb or shearling patches allow easy hook retrieval by simply pulling on the hook and plucking out a tiny bit of wool with it, I'm not sure how a sock would work.

faux being synthetic/plastic/crude oil/etc. probably won't absorb water,

If polar fleece absorbs water, I am good to go... Otherwise, I have enough real stuff to form a pocket protector thing, with skin on outside

Mark Knapp,

For me, I'm afraid I would lose flies from the magnets on my vest or boxes. When I'm casting, I got stuff flying everywhere. I'm sure a loop of line will get in there and knock some flies off. Mainly casting the heavy sinking lines.

Do you think my are my concerns founded? It's otherwise a very intriguing idea. I use magnets on my tying bench for the very same thing.

Neodymium (rare earth magnets) especially if it's at least a 1/2" x 1/8" disk will hold flies on the magnet through a tornado. They simply do not fall off. Trust me. Midges? It actually can be hard to remove them sometimes if your hands are cold. Dries? Hook bend on the magnet hackle hanging off the edge. Pile them on, they will not come off.

The best of all is if you buy just the magnets themselves and not the store-bought gadget you can buy 10 pairs for $20 bucks...sometimes cheaper. I like the 1" x 1/8" disks for vest and hats. I like the 3/8" for fly boxes and my chest box. Put two in an Altoids tin and you have a lightweight cheap fly box. I do that but attach them with JB Weld epoxy to keep them from moving around.

You guys talking about faux materials, being plastic, not absorbing water ... perhaps. But most paint brushes, these days, are also plastic, and they will hold a LOT of water.

It has to do the the "wicking" properties of tightly packed fibers. Capillary action of fake sheepskin, etc., can and will pull a lot of water away from anything that touches it. Your flies, placed against such materials will dry as quickly, or quicker, than those on natural material. Since the natural material absorbs water, it doesn't allow evaporation as rapidly as synthetics and can slow the drying time of anything lying against it.

Just sayin'.

Mark Knapp,

Neodymium (rare earth magnets) especially if it's at least a 1/2" x 1/8" disk will hold flies on the magnet through a tornado. They simply do not fall off. Trust me. Midges? It actually can be hard to remove them sometimes if your hands are cold. Dries? Hook bend on the magnet hackle hanging off the edge. Pile them on, they will not come off.

The best of all is if you buy just the magnets themselves and not the store-bought gadget you can buy 10 pairs for $20 bucks...sometimes cheaper. I like the 1" x 1/8" disks for vest and hats. I like the 3/8" for fly boxes and my chest box. Put two in an Altoids tin and you have a lightweight cheap fly box. I do that but attach them with JB Weld epoxy to keep them from moving around.

You have convinced me. I think I'll order me up some.

You guys talking about faux materials, being plastic, not absorbing water ... perhaps. But most paint brushes, these days, are also plastic, and they will hold a LOT of water.

It has to do the the "wicking" properties of tightly packed fibers. Capillary action of fake sheepskin, etc., can and will pull a lot of water away from anything that touches it. Your flies, placed against such materials will dry as quickly, or quicker, than those on natural material. Since the natural material absorbs water, it doesn't allow evaporation as rapidly as synthetics and can slow the drying time of anything lying against it.

Just sayin'.

Hey mister, you make some good points. In fact, natural wool doesn't absorb water either (but it does wick) so all that stuff about absorption "doesn't hold water" but your comments do.

I'm not an advocate of patches one way or another. I say use whatever works for you.

I think I'm going magnetic at least to try. It should work fine at least until North Korea hits us with an electro-magnetic pulse and then everybody with magnetic vests, standing in the river will suddenly have all their flies drop to the water. Shoot!!