Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Year of the carp

Thank you for thinking of me tier! Unfortunately I don't do the Facebook and never will. Your gesture was very kind though and shouldn't go unnoticed. Thanks again. 

There are guides on the Great Lakes who specialize in FFing for carp.  One sort of local guy is Henry Cowen, Atlanta, GA; sight fishes the backwaters of the Chattahoochee River. Guru Dave Whitlock used to take several days and sight fish for carp in Lake St. Clair, the unknown Great Lake. I caught one this summer but health and surgery killed most of the summer. My fly was an all white fly similar to a crawfish pattern with a pull chain weight. Since then I have bought some dumbbell weights. BTW, go to www.carpanglersgroup.com and scroll down to the FFing section.

Photo attached.

DSCN0016.JPG

I've yet to catch one on the fly rod. Went out a few times with no luck. I might have to find someplace where I can see them on a regular basis. The only time I do see them they are cruising and I can confirm that they can't be caught when they are cruising. 

Poopdeck, cruising fish aren't feeding. Look for tailing fish like one would look for bonefish. You can see the mud trails from feeding fish. Cast a few feet in front of and past the fish, retrieve it in front of the fish where he can find it. This is how I caught my first carp on the skinny stick. BTW, mud trails can be from turtles, too.

Yup. Walk around the lake. Look for fish if the water is shallow. Look for plumes of mud coming to the surface if it's a bit deeper. 90% of it for me has just been looking watching waiting. So rewarding when you hook one though.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, Poopdeck said:

Mark, I didn't know you are fluent in Vietnamese. That's impressive.

Robo7, I shall add some rubber legs to a swimming nymph. Thanks for the tips.

That is Latin- Seize the opportunity.

Here is a photo of a bent rod. Actually, carp are smarter than is given credit.

DSCN0012.JPG

On 2/14/2020 at 8:29 PM, petelangevin said:

We have some big carp in a local river and i have never seen anyone fishing for them. Will tie up some of those flies when i can tie again. Look like lots of fun.

Name the river as I know of several guys in MA who fish for carp with different types of tackle. Very few freshwater fish grow to the size of carp. Tennessee record is 53 lb., caught out of a state lake of 65 acres.

Thanks,  Pete. Will pass it along to some carp anglers in MA. I'm sure that some might have wet a line there.