Fly Tying
P.Dieter

Photographing Flies

Hi all first post here;

Just surfing around some different (for me) tying sites and after running a few searches here I thought there may be some interest in the following.

I just started a fly tying page on my site. The first content I put up there is a reworked and re-photographed article that ran in Fly Tyer in 2000. It will take you through the construction and use of a lighting apparatus I call the Fly Studio. It's a very easy way to take high quality macro shots with a single light source.

Fly Studio pages

Have Fun

Paul

I just ran across said article in fly tier while looking for who knows what...good stuff that I need to incorporate so that I can photograph some of my stuff...

welcome aboard, paul.

mgj

Paul

Did you write the article in Fly tier Magazine for that lighting apparatus

a couple years back?

Great Idea and just the right amount of diffusion of lighting.

OSD.

PS. Welcome to the Web site

huh.gif Jeez.... I thought you just point and click.....

Good information! I'll have to start working on one of these myself.

Nice work, Paul!

I might try that set-up for myself. Thanks for sharing.

For point-and-shoot digital cameras (Canon PowerShot)- I can't seem to get a clear close-up picture. What do you suggest for me to do?

QUOTE (Realtor @ Apr 4 2005, 04:00 PM)
Nice work, Paul!
I might try that set-up for myself. Thanks for sharing.

For point-and-shoot digital cameras (Canon PowerShot)- I can't seem to get a clear close-up picture. What do you suggest for me to do?

which powershot? I use a G5 so if it's a G series I might have some info. Also this site might help

canon forum

Neat set up. Ireally like the clarity in your photos. I use a D70 with standard 18-70 lense. My main problem is the fact that my fly photos don't seem as clear as I would like, even in manual mode and in macro mode....any suggestions?

QUOTE (Gilly @ Apr 4 2005, 06:54 PM)
I use a D70 with standard 18-70 lense. My main problem is the fact that my fly photos don't seem as clear as I would like, even in manual mode and in macro mode....any suggestions?

I would suspect that although there may be a macro mode with that lens it really isn't giving you a macro function. You can try a dedicated macro lens or look for some macro filters (stacking) that might improve your images.

Did this shoot last night in about 3 hrs (including phtoshop/filing work) Only had to reshoot 4 flies because of hot spots or focus. One of the nice things about this set up (new one) is how fast you can go through a group of flies, and keep the background continuous.

VFS Rocky Mountain Mayfly Swap