Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

splake techniques

I have over 150 splake stocked lakes within a 3 hr drive of my home, and I have no idea what they look like. Last summer I gave stillwater fly fishing a try. I had good success catching rainbows but was a complete failure with the splake. The lakes are small to medium sized, and I would classify them as deep and oligotrophic. I believe they are stocked as put and take fish for ice fisherman. If any one has experience taking these fish with fly fishing techniques, that they could share it would be appreciated.

Like lake trout while using fly gear, your best chance at them is in the spring when they come into shallows to spawn and fall when the lake 'turns over' and they go on the feed to prepare for winter.

Rocco

Funny but I've caught dozens of them over the years up north but almost all were in winter through the ice. During the summer on the same lakes I would fish evening and catch rainbows on top regularly but never a splake even though I knew they were there. Had a few friends who would troll cowbells deep during the summer days and catch rainbows and the occasional splake or stocked laker. So I guess I'm just working on my typing since I can't help you with flies except what Rocco said, and when I might have caught them shallow in spring I was out hunting walleye.

I generally fish them trolling streamers much as I do for lake trout. Late May / June seems to be my favorite time to try for them.

Doug

Hi All,

I found this forum by searching for fly patterns for splake.

I went fishing for them yesterday at a lake that has been stocked with 1100 yearling for the last 10 years. This is my second trip to this lake, first was in the summer and I thought I would catch some if I went deep enough. I have a striker cast fish finder and was marking fish in th cooler depths 50ft trolling Wollybuggers, gomphus, leech patterns….. couldn’t get a bite.

so it’s October 23, -5c outside and the lake temp is 50f. I’m marking fish everywhere in depth range of 4-13 ft. No rises. I tried everything streamers,top water, nymphs. I even put on a egg pattern and bobber but nothing.

don’t worry your not the only one frustrated by these fish.