Fly Tying
flytire

February Flies From the Vise

Let me guess, Kimo. Your parents had the Zika virus. Instead of being born with a small head ... you were born with small hands.

I was in Green Top Sporting goods store with Bo ... Powershooter. He showed me the micro-game changer backbones you're using. I don't think I could even get one properly clamped in my vise, let alone tie great looking streamers like you're doing.

PS. Powershooter and his eldest kid are good people. Be sure to look him up if you're ever around the Richmond, VA area.

Let me guess, Kimo. Your parents had the Zika virus. Instead of being born with a small head ... you were born with small hands.

No way!

My fingers are the size of Vienna Sausages.

Kimo

Tied a few fishing flies. Not museum quality like you guys ... but maybe worth a bass or two.

Flip flop foam Poppers

2020 Richmond Flies 010.JPG

Laminated foam frogs

2020 Richmond Flies 011.JPG

I'm going to order some of those micro gamechanger spines, the starter kit is much more reasonably priced than I expected. What hook and size are you using with then kimo?

I'm going to order some of those micro gamechanger spines, the starter kit is much more reasonably priced than I expected. What hook and size are you using with then kimo?

TFS 2457 #8, #10

I like this hook from The Fly Shop because it's an offset hook

and the price is really good.

Kimo

Gorilla-1080.jpg

Gorilla

Hairwing Atlantic Salmon Fly

Tail - Dyed black hackle fibers

Body - Black uni stretch

Ribbing - Closely wound flat or oval silver tinsel

Throat - Dyed black hackle fibers

Wing - Woodchuck

Sorry if this genre of fly tying doesnt appeal to everybody, but I enjoy tying these flies while I still have the eyesight to tie them

More laser eye treatment tomorrow so I wont be tying for a few days smile.png sad.png

Two bass flies with lead eyes. Needed something to get down a little deeper in the spring. The first one is a Murdich Minnow for the back half and UV Polar chenielle for the front half. It looks like it should have nice movement.

post-35105-0-11435200-1581285306_thumb.jpg

The second one is a Murdich in the back and a purchased brush in the front.

post-35105-0-82028400-1581285408_thumb.jpg

Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the brush? I laid it perpendicular to the hook, wrapping it around the hook, and pushing the right side of the brush to the rear.

1.Should I have stopped at the eyes?

2. Any suggestions on how to make it look neater?

In my mind it looks cooler that it does in person.

Thanks,Tom

With the brush perpendicular to the hook wouldnt you stroke all of the fibers rearward with each wrap

Yes, you are correct. I did a poor job of explaining. Are there any techniques to get both sides to the back and still keeping everything even?

BTW - I sure like the flies you are posting.

Gorilla-1080.jpg

Gorilla

Body - Black uni stretch

Wing - Woodchuck

Sorry if this genre of fly tying doesnt appeal to everybody, but I enjoy tying these flies while I still have the eyesight to tie them

More laser eye treatment tomorrow so I wont be tying for a few days smile.png sad.png

Oh my gosh, who would not like your kind of flies. Wishing you the very best on your surgery my friend.

I was in Green Top Sporting goods store with Bo ... Powershooter. He showed me the micro-game changer backbones you're using. I don't think I could even get one properly clamped in my vise, let alone tie great looking streamers like you're doing.

PS. Powershooter and his eldest kid are good people. Be sure to look him up if you're ever around the Richmond, VA area.

How about the rest of his kids, are they good people too?smile.png

Gorilla-1080.jpg

Gorilla

Body - Black uni stretch

Wing - Woodchuck

Oh my gosh, who would not like your kind of flies. Wishing you the very best on your surgery my friend.

+1

Gorilla-1080.jpg

Gorilla

Body - Black uni stretch

Wing - Woodchuck

+1
+2 while I'm not likely to fish them definitely one of my favorite styles tip look at.