Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DHC

Perfect Spinner Fly

Aero Fly a Perfect Spinner Fly

As we all know spinners or spent flies attract numerous trout to the surface. That’s why some of us are always looking for a spinner that will present a profile on the water unlike traditional spinner flies but just unique enough to make it stand out from the crowd. With this in mind I stared to experiment using different wing designs and body materials. What I ended up with is what I called the Aero Fly.

The Aero Fly does not have a traditional body and the wings form a fighter jet type of appearance thus the name. The body is 1/8 inch natural latex tubing although one can use a cream colored dubbing to achieve the same appearance. I used latex tubing for the color, the specific gravity of .94 to .95 and the fact that air can be trapped inside to ad to the buoyancy. It also has the advantage of not impeding the hook gap that a wrapped dubbing can sometime do.

post-23663-0-05468900-1581196677_thumb.jpgpost-23663-0-39133800-1581196699_thumb.jpg

It is actually a fairly simple fly. The steps are as follows:

Hook – Size 8 to 16, 3 or 4x long with a light wire wrapped with Brown 6/0 thread

Legs – Brown rubber tied in on sides of the 1/3 down hook shank behind the eye

Antenna – Brown mono inserted in the 1/8 inch natural latex tubing

Body – Natural latex shank length tied in tightly compressing it at leg tie in point

Wing – Iridescent web wing type material tied in at the same point

Wing Post – White Polypropylene

Wing Finish – White Saddle feather tied parachute style 5 to 8 wraps

Finish with a drop of head cement or super glue at the eye and on the end of the latex tubing (if used) to seal in the air. This fly also works well by its self as a good imitator of a PMD

Bob

The wing has little or no discernable impact on casting and being made with a polypropylene material it helps with buoyancy.

Dave

Bob

The wing has little or no discernable impact on casting and being made with a polypropylene material it helps with buoyancy.

Dave

I don't think that is technically correct. Please allow me to explain why.

The polypropylene forms the upright post material for the parachute hackle. "Wing Post – White Polypropylene"

Since the post is ABOVE the water and does not contact the water, it adds to the mass above the water line and does not add to buoyancy. "the ability or tendency to float in water or air or some other fluid." Unless the material is lighter than air, any material above the water line makes the fly float lower in the water.

The floatation is due to the surface tension of the water and the material contacting the surface is what is "supporting" the fly. That would be the "Wing – Iridescent web wing type material" BUT ONLY if were stiff enough to "support" the mass. Since you state this wing does not interfere with casting, it is not stiff. I think what supports the fly is the parachute hackle.

The fly should be very visible on the water and I suspect that you could cut the polypropylene wing off to a stub and the fly would actually float higher without the "mass" of the extra polypro material.

Sliver

You are correct about floatation being due to surface tension which is true of any dry fly. However the wing type material for this fly is made from a polypropylene material which means it floats. Thus although not real stiff it does help support the mass of the fly. If you look closely at the fly in the example below you can see the fly floating on the wing material in red died water with the parachute hackle above the wing itself.

post-23663-0-19160500-1582037816_thumb.jpg