Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

Here's one or two from the Everglades...

pVXI1MK.jpg

the SpeedBug... very quick to tie, the head is a Perfect Popper soft foam item with a much larger hook than they recommend, a Mustad #34007 in size #1. I've filled orders for hundreds of these to shops. We only fish them at dawn or dusk (or on days when there's little or no wind). Baby tarpon, snook, speckled trout - eat them like candy...

i7QuAX7.jpg

SpeedBug color variations - note the complete absence of any eyes or decoration at all... I have my anglers working them like crippled small bait with very, very short sharp strips. To really make these work properly you must have the tip of the rod in the water when stripping and the rod pointed directly at the bug...

emap5Wm.jpg

The Razor-cut Mullet, Mustad #34007 3/0, note the wire weedguard... Done up in all white, the head is shaped, then the head is colored, the eyes glued in place, then after the wire weedguard is bent into position - the spun and razored head is coated with Seal Flex for durability...

6QmgXaM.jpg

These big sliders work at surface or just under the surface... done up on Tiemco 600sp 3/0 hooks with weedguards - overall length exceeds six inches...

Fished the dragon yesterday until dark when it was hung up in a tree.

I’ll go back today and get it.

It floats better than I expected, throws a decent spray ,and dives slightly when stripped.

All in all I like the action and will probably make more.

Cream I like the walk the dog on your fly. Any tips on doing this in foam or balsa?

Mike nice flies. I like the flip flop kind too as they are quick to tie, don’t cost much, and are durable.

Weighting is the key. Toss a conventional walk-the-dog lure in the sink and look at how it rests. It sits slightly tail-down.

Sam Looper (Looper Flies) is selling a foam version. I worked with Sam, providing him some samples of my deer hair versions. I'm sure it could be done with balsa, too.

maybe it's a category that can be added to the "Species/Tying Style Specific Forums" section.

+1 on that thought. Some great creative flies posted here.

Stippled Popper, Flytire, Capt Bob LeMay thanks for fly postings.

TheCreme thanks for the info Sam sure has some nice flies.

pVXI1MK.jpg

the SpeedBug... very quick to tie, the head is a Perfect Popper soft foam item with a much larger hook than they recommend, a Mustad #34007 in size #1. I've filled orders for hundreds of these to shops. We only fish them at dawn or dusk (or on days when there's little or no wind). Baby tarpon, snook, speckled trout - eat them like candy...

i7QuAX7.jpg

SpeedBug color variations - note the complete absence of any eyes or decoration at all... I have my anglers working them like crippled small bait with very, very short sharp strips. To really make these work properly you must have the tip of the rod in the water when stripping and the rod pointed directly at the bug...

emap5Wm.jpg

The Razor-cut Mullet, Mustad #34007 3/0, note the wire weedguard... Done up in all white, the head is shaped, then the head is colored, the eyes glued in place, then after the wire weedguard is bent into position - the spun and razored head is coated with Seal Flex for durability...

6QmgXaM.jpg

These big sliders work at surface or just under the surface... done up on Tiemco 600sp 3/0 hooks with weedguards - overall length exceeds six inches...

Capt Bob...Question on the Speed Bugs. Are those flat faced popper bodies, or do they have come slant to the face?

maybe it's a category that can be added to the "Species/Tying Style Specific Forums" section.

Would a sub-forum cover what you have in mind? If so, let a moderator know more details or preferences via msg... Reviewing the forums it should be possible to make a good fit...

The title of this thread looks like it could be from the appetizer section of a Chilie's menu.laugh.png

Stop punishing me.... It’s a 4 hour + road trip over black ice, ground blizzards, and Antelope road bumps for dem baby back ribs... if it was Saturday I would have to go for it.

The title of this thread looks like it could be from the appetizer section of a Chilie's menu.laugh.png

Stop punishing me.... It’s a 4 hour + road trip over black ice, ground blizzards, and Antelope road bumps for dem baby back ribs... if it was Saturday I would have to go for it.

Go for it, what are you chicken. We don't have a Chillies. Besides, my bodies a temple, I wouldn't put that kind of thing in there.rolleyes.gif

Personally, I never look at the sub-forums and I don't think very many people do. If you want something to get looked at, put it in one of the main forums.

I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff in them, I just don't have enough time to go through them all individually to find the stuff I would be interested in. It might cut into my fishing time.

pVXI1MK.jpg

i7QuAX7.jpg

emap5Wm.jpg

6QmgXaM.jpg

Capt. Bob; what size perfect popper are you putting on a #1 Mustad #34007?

Thanks

Go for it, what are you chicken.

Yes, I drive on ice competently, many others not so much