Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

22 hours ago, fshng2 said:

PD that,s a beauty, bet it has a nice wobble.

Should get the bass and snakeheads fired up.

What size hooks are you using?

For the champagne cork or wood poppers I use a double salmon hook of unknown size. I buy them at a fishing flea market from a guy selling from bulk. They are 1 3/8" long.  For toads  made from a wine cork I use a size 4 Aberdeen hook. 

22 hours ago, flytire said:

yes there are a number of fly styles/types that i dont tie but if i put in the time, money and effort i guess anything might be possible 👍

Noticed you listed short blondes as an interest. Under your avatar.  I think that could bemore enIertaining, at least until you get cabin fever sheltering in place.  I  like tall blondes, too.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:00 AM, Poopdeck said:

I have been contemplating picking up an airbrush but just can't justify spending the money for the couple dozen poppers at most I paint each year. This year I picked up some color shifting and pearlescent paints at the hobby store and discovered the lost art of finger painting. I'm not sure how well the photo shows it but I'm super happy with the transition from a very light color shifting green to white on this popper. So much so that I plan on shaping some more cork to smear paint on.

post-48414-0-66054000-1582473183_thumb.jpg

PD... I have airbrush gear with a working compressor that I received in a family estate distribution.  I will send it to you and we can trade some stuff or you can pay it forward... Had it since 2012 and never figured out how to use it... and frankly, spraypainting has never been my thing since that one time I got tagging a....eh... can’t go there... Anyway...

PM a shipping address and we can wheel or deal

10 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

PD... I have airbrush gear with a working compressor that I received in a family estate distribution.  I will send it to you and we can trade some stuff or you can pay it forward... Had it since 2012 and never figured out how to use it... and frankly, spraypainting has never been my thing since that one time I got tagging a....eh... can’t go there... Anyway...

PM a shipping address and we can wheel or deal

That's very generous and kind of you but to be honest it will probably just sit around my garage as well. I'm sure there are more deserving recipients that would actually put it to use. Hope that doesn't sound unappreciative but thanks you for your kindness.

No worries PD, just been admiring your work, realized I could make better use of the airbrush gear by letting someone else have it, and perhaps do a little bartering for awesome pre-painted bodies that I could dress out.... 

Other takers?  PM shipping data and we will take it forward from there🎣🎣🎣

On 3/19/2020 at 5:21 PM, The Mad Duck said:

Just a few I have been working on

IMG-3423.jpg

Nice variety Mad Duck .....keep em coming!

On 3/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, Flat Rock native said:

No worries PD, just been admiring your work, realized I could make better use of the airbrush gear by letting someone else have it, and perhaps do a little bartering for awesome pre-painted bodies that I could dress out.... 

Other takers?  PM shipping data and we will take it forward from there🎣🎣🎣

PM'd

10 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Simple Floaters

mKIxiKT.jpg

Is that enough foam to keep those SS hooks afloat? The reason I ask..I tied some foam/deer hair type floaters and the weight of the SS hook offset the buoyancy of the foam/spun hair, making then ever so slightly negatively buoyant.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, Mark Knapp said:

PM'd

Got your email, waiting for dust to settle on 600 mile tundra drive and home again safely. My grandkids are safe and do not need to be more isolated with us in North Kaycee, BF Egypt. It was a wild, dang adventure but I have jig hooks, tung beads, gray faux sherpa fleece in Kenduardo’s stock, very limited supplies.... Have a work-a-round technique to create 60 degree j hooks from a #1 octo stainless, and use any bead of choosing.  

15 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Is that enough foam to keep those SS hooks afloat? The reason I ask..I tied some foam/deer hair type floaters and the weight of the SS hook offset the buoyancy of the foam/spun hair, making then ever so slightly negatively buoyant.

The hooks aren't SS but are 3407DT (Mustad Duratin) size 4.

The flies float with foam out of the water about 50% , and suprisingly they float horizontally.

I used thick craft foam which measures slightly less than 1/4 inch thick or .230.

17 hours ago, fshng2 said:

I used thick craft foam which measures slightly less than 1/4 inch thick or .230.

Really like that style and approach.  Much as I dig popper making, there's times when it's just nice to sit down and create a bug without all the prep, glueing, and shaping that's required with many bodies.

Probably dive more reliably than some of my more involved sculpted heads with a better underbelly profile, too.👍