Fly Tying
CSB1

The Feather Emporium

i have come to understand that when you hit the send button to make an order, his website automatically sends out the "shipped" message

i have never had a problem with that or any orders i made with him

18 hours ago, Rainier42 said:
Wanted to post an experience I had with an online vendor to save some of you from issue I had.  Placed an order with the Feather Emporium on 1/5. A day later I received a note that my order shipped. A day after receiving a shipped notice I started to monitor but all the USPS site said is that a shipping label had been created. A week later the status hadn't changed so I called and spoke with the owner, David. He said he would look into it but never go back to me. Spoke to him again last evening and he said he personally mailed the items but would credit my PayPal. He then told me to never order from him again and hung up on me, which was just rude.

Throughout my conversation with him I was calm and never gave him a hard time, just wanted to know whether the material I ordered had truly shipped. Afterwards I filed a claim with PayPal.

This mirrors an experience I had with Feather Emporium. It was and is my worst experience to date trying to buy fly tying materials.

With so many great vendors out there, who needs the grief and aggravation.

Caveat emptor, "Let the buyer beware"

Even though my first experience with FE was horrific, i gave him a second chance. Again i was having problems with the shopping cart so i phoned Dave. To my surprise he answered and told me he was on his bike, he stopped and wrote down my order, well over a 1000 bucks worth. Two months went by and my cc was not charged so i called him again and again he was biking. He told me he lost the list, ok maybe he did, yeah right. I gave him the order again and had a half hour chat with him, seems like a ok guy. Well again my cc never got charged. You would think if im placing orders of 1000$  or more he would at least call me back if he has issues. Never got that order and never going to order from that vender again. 

My experience w/ FE, once burned twice wary (Well there is no twice). Placed an order got charged never received what I ordered. He never answered any emails or phone calls. YMMV.

Wow... I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm newer to tying and came across his website somehow. I did no research into the business. I had a small purchase, just a mixed color, one size 100 pack and it showed up in a timely fashion. I felt there was a little inconsistency in the sizing but nothing my amateur self was upset over... as I figured it gave me a little flexibility to do other sizes. 

Since he lives in Wisconsin, he sells at several of the fly fishing and tying events like the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener. I have bought from him at these events.

I never buy hackle I can't examine.

Bob Marriotts really made me mad. I ordered $60 worth of stuff. Never a confirmation email or anything. Finally get my package and 1 $3 item is there and nothing else. Everything backordered. WTF? Charged me $7 to mail $3 worth of my $60 order and didn't bother to notify me or anything? No refund yet either, I guess they expect to hold my money for a few months until they maybe get the stuff back in or I forget. 

I see people complaining about Feather Emporium. I've made like 6 orders over the last few years and never had an issue. Maybe I just got lucky. 

I'm not happy with this Bob Marriotts at all though. WIll never order form them again as I can't trust that they will have it in stock like their website says. 

2 hours ago, jlg827 said:

Bob Marriotts really made me mad. I ordered $60 worth of stuff. Never a confirmation email or anything. Finally get my package and 1 $3 item is there and nothing else. Everything backordered. WTF? Charged me $7 to mail $3 worth of my $60 order and didn't bother to notify me or anything? No refund yet either, I guess they expect to hold my money for a few months until they maybe get the stuff back in or I forget. 

I see people complaining about Feather Emporium. I've made like 6 orders over the last few years and never had an issue. Maybe I just got lucky. 

I'm not happy with this Bob Marriotts at all though. WIll never order form them again as I can't trust that they will have it in stock like their website says. 

I had a bad experience with Marriott’s as well.  I’ve never made another order with them again.

I'd say you were lucky.  I ordered some stuff from him based on a couple of good reviews amongst all the bad and that was the last I heard of him.  I can't remember if I paid for  it and it wasn't delivered, but I think that was the case.   He does have an excellent website, though.

3 minutes ago, Gene L said:

I'd say you were lucky.  I ordered some stuff from him based on a couple of good reviews amongst all the bad and that was the last I heard of him.  I can't remember if I paid for  it and it wasn't delivered, but I think that was the case.   He does have an excellent website, though.

Very strange. I really like his Catskill Classic combos though. I guess I'll keep ordering until I get burned, and then never again.  I just got one in the mail today that I ordered Monday - a nice ginger dun saddle/cape combo. Really nice for $60. 

Every order I've made has been out the door the very next day. I worried at first about the sizes being wrong since he cut and pastes a lot of the descriptions, but all of mine have been sized correctly so far. Seems he is really good about sizing them, which is important when ordering a saddle online. 

2 hours ago, gadabout said:

I had a bad experience with Marriott’s as well.  I’ve never made another order with them again.

I just hope I don't have any issues getting my $50 refunded when I call Monday. 

$7 to ship a single $3 packet of EZ Magic dub in a first class envelope with no tracking, no confirmation email when ordered and 6 of the 7 things I ordered out of stock. Unacceptable. Oh well. 

i dont think you would have to pay any additional shipping costs on the back ordered materials as it was for the full order

i too will no longer order from bob marriotts. bad experience with them

feather emporium - I never had a problem with ordering from him