Fly Tying
TIER

Help

What should I get for my sister for a wedding gift? She doesn't like fishing, or any sporty stuff. Mabey a could carve an ornament. Help.

Frame their wedding invitation.

Buy a nice frame and frame it yourself.

You could even write something nice and glue or double stick tape it on the back

You're asking the wrong crowd, TIER. laugh.png A sorrier bunch of lowlife, insensitive people would be hard to find. Just ask the spouses.

I've got a wonderful relationship with my Wife. Not because I buy her appropriate and appreciated gifts, but because she's very understanding that I DON'T. Even when I try to buy her a gift, it's never quite what she wanted.

Getting a wedding gift for anyone is easy ... give 'em money. I'll rephrase that. If you're planning on spending money on a "nice" gift, just give them the money. Newlyweds ALWAYS need money. Even with all the "thoughtful" (gravy boats and serving trays come to mind) gifts, they rarely get what they truly need to set up home together.

If you don't plan on spending a lot, then make something that will remind them of why they got married. The above suggestion of framing their wedding invitation is a good one. Find something they both DO like, and make something that reflects that interest. Decorations are usually needed if they are moving into a home together, so anything like that will be welcome. And the "home made" factor makes it special.

Good luck.

Like Mike said, money is the only real wedding gift anymore. One should give enough to cover your meal and, if applicable, your dates meal plus a little extra. Wedding dinners typically run 90 to 225 a head in my parts. My standard wedding gift is 500 clams for me and my wife. Fortunately children have no expectation of wedding gift giving. Your presence at the wedding is gift enough. If you want to go above and beyond get her a nice card and write something nice in it about what she has meant to you. It will melt her heart and endear you to her far more then some cheap gift or 500 clams ever could.

Toaster, every new couple needs twelve electric toasters. To go with the six gravy boats.

The framing sounds nice as a diy route and if you can find out the size of the marriage license certificate you could make a matching frame for it and present the two together.

As mentioned, cash will do more good for them than gifts they won't use, and the fact you ask means that what ever you bought would likely fall into that no use category.

Standard gifts here used to include a rolling pin (for rolling pie crusts or disciplining hubby) and cast iron skillet, because every thing from bacon to biscuits can be cooked in a skillet.

Standard gifts here used to include a rolling pin (for rolling pie crusts or disciplining hubby) and cast iron skillet, because every thing from bacon to biscuits can be cooked in a skillet.

The skillet can also be used when the rolling pin doesn't deliver enough persuasion. ;-)

What ever you do ... don't get them the huge wooden spoons or the hand wrapped broom. Those seemed to always show up on the gift table.

They don't look good on any wall, but they'll feel obligated to hang them up. Ugh.

Ok...

1. Buy two of these huge cool looking hooks (write SALE in the discount area on checkout and they are 22 cents each) (plus shipping)

https://www.kenhook.se/product/mustad-2282a-no-4-0-round-snoek-grd-point-2

2. Carve a big jig head for each

3. Paste and laminate a picture of their faces on each jig

4. Dress the one of your sister in white with a white wing coming off her head and white marabou with pearl flash (so it looks like her wedding dress and veil)

5 Dress the one for the groom in black with a black flashy rubbery marabou tail (so it looks like a tux.

Fun and done

The skillet can also be used when the rolling pin doesn't deliver enough persuasion. ;-)

Excellent point, flat for medium duty, the side for when things are serious.