March Flies From the Vise

Foam-Ant-1080.jpg

Foam Ant

Hook - Dry fly

Thread - Black

Body - Black fettucinne foam strip - Blane Chocklett

Legs - Dyed black hackle

10 minutes ago, primeflycompany said:

Using EP Trigger Point fibers as a substitution in a Rich Strolis RF Caddis pattern. 

Very nice, primefly.  What material are you using for the legs?

1 minute ago, niveker said:

Very nice, primefly.  What material are you using for the legs?

Thank you. The legs in the RF Caddis are Hareline Daddy Long Legs (very thin rubber legs). The color is brown, but they are more of a rust brown in reality. 

Great looking Galloups Found Link (extended body!  I have two questions for you though:

•  First, what is "Congo hair"??  It looks a lot like some snowshoe rabbit-foot hair that I have. 

•  The second question is why are you using an absorbent material - hare's ear dubbing - on your extended body fly.  Granted it's absolutely made out of buoyant hair, which will overcome the absorbancy of the hare's ear, but why not use a synthetic non-absorbent material instead?  Granted, I'm an old fly tier (started tying in 1976) but I was taught to never use absorbent materials on dry flies.  Certainly, with all that hollow hair around it, that fly is not going to sink easily.  Back in 70's, we needed to know the properties of the natural furs and whether they would float or sink more than you need to today.  Today you have a myriad of textures, mixes, and colors available in synthetics.  Back then there were only a few choices. So I'm wondering if it was a conscious choice to use the hare's ear for one reason or another, or if you used it just because you had it close to hand.

Thanks and once again, nice tie!

Dan

22 minutes ago, Dan G said:

Great looking Galloups Found Link (extended body!  I have two questions for you though:

•  First, what is "Congo hair"??  It looks a lot like some snowshoe rabbit-foot hair that I have. 

Dan

Congo hair is a synthetic from FTD.

15850778250714160363404394379936.jpg