Fly Tying

Coronavirus?

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Tacos.....how about a "Sheldon Cooper fun factoid?".... Would you guys believe, I have never had a single taco in my entire life?

You gotta be kidding me. Are thinking you might just do it once for kicks?

23 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Is it that people abuse the emergency room/system during normal times and go to ER when they really shouldn't be?

Yes.

"I've had a cough/fever/vomiting/whatever for a day, I haven't taken any medications or tried to treat this in any way at home, I don't have a primary care doctor so here I am, please remove all my pain and baby me. BTW I'm uninsured and unemployed. I will also rate you low on patient satisfaction scores if you don't get my family coffee. 8 sugars, 6.5 creamers." Or "I've had this problem for X months, but it is an emergency now!"

see also: ambulances bringing in homeless folk sleeping off their "little bit" of alcohol thanks to cellphone heroes. I know several of our homeless people's birthdays.

Abuse of the 911 system, bringing in ingrown toenails because they cannot refuse to transport patients. Or the patient calls, requests a hospital on the other side of the city and then refuses transport when they get to the hospital or close by. 

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Tacos.....how about a "Sheldon Cooper fun factoid?".... Would you guys believe, I have never had a single taco in my entire life?

You live in MI, right? I'd venture to say even if you ordered some there you would still be on a taco-free streak :D

Nope not kidding at all. Never had a taco before. To be honest if I listed all the foods I have never had you guys would probably be shocked. I've been a VERY picky eater my entire life. I would go as far as to say I have probably never had 80% of what is "normal" food to most people. Just always been picky picky picky when it came to my food I like or even have a desire to try.

29 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

You gotta be kidding me. Are thinking you might just do it once for kicks?

Not even a fish taco?  Recalling that tortillas traveled well on many backpacking days, and crispy small Brookies, rolled up well with onion and pickle made a few lunches or dinners in the Wind Rivers.

But no peer pressure, just recipes...

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nope not kidding at all. Never had a taco before. To be honest if I listed all the foods I have never had you guys would probably be shocked. I've been a VERY picky eater my entire life. I would go as far as to say I have probably never had 80% of what is "normal" food to most people. Just always been picky picky picky when it came to my food I like or even have a desire to try.

Do you not eat sandwiches either?  Pretty much the same concept.  You put anything you want in them. 

Never had a taco????  I understand being a picky eater but what concerns do you have about a Taco? Perhaps you prefer burritos? 

I lose all self control around Tacos. I go to one taco joint because of the roasted tomato aioli he squirts on them. i think I'll make tacos tomorrow night now. 

I just picked up both flour and corn tortilla shells.  Going to be making my own for the next two weeks.  Might do some smothered burritos in there too.  

I've never had a taco this week, either.  Oh wait, he said NEVER ... AT ALL ???

Just so you all know, having spent a couple of weekends at Steve's, he's a great person.  Very normal, in my opinion.

At least I thought that until I found out he's NEVER had a taco!!!!

😄

While I can't say I've never had a taco.  I can say I've never had "buffalo wings".  Other than that, I'll try anything once.

Let’s hope this will pass but....

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-body-symptoms.amp.html

Make no mistake. When loved ones are removed from your home by ambulance because the virus has hit them hard, you are not going to be able to follow them there, sit by their hospital bed and hold their hand. You are not going to be able to pop in at 7.00 pm for visiting hours. They are going to have no one other than exhausted and brave hospital staff to see them through days or weeks of barely breathing through a ventilator until they either die or recover. They are not going to be well enough to text you.

You are not going to be able to phone the ward to check in on them regularly (staff will be too busy for that). During that time, they will be completely alone, while you sit at home waiting to hear whether they have made it through.

Imagine that person is someone you love dearly. Because it's going to be a reality for many in the coming weeks.

And if that person in hospital happens to be you, going through that ordeal completely alone, it would be nothing less than terrifying.

Please stay home and only go out if absolutely necessary. Social distancing is imperative right now for your family and mine.

I think people need to realize that they are simply talking about "slowing the spread."  They want to control the infection rate so as not to overwhelm the hospitals. Their Goal is "manageable levels." To me that means we are all, or most, going to get it at some point in time. I know comparing it to the flu is not politically correct but just like we are all suspectble to the flu, we will all be susceptible to COVID19.  Life has to go back to normal at some time so stock up on your NyQuil and Advil so you are prepared to spend a few days in your bed in your house self-recovering, just like the flu. 

Please note I am not saying it is the flu, I am not saying some will not get sicker then others and I am not saying people do not die from this (just like the flu.) A responsible person does a risk assessment of their own health and takes the precautions they feel necessary for them just like for any other illness out there. 

Yeah, same as the flu. Only symptomless for ten days longer (often completely symptom free) so you can't know who has it, twice as likely to get it from the contacts do you make, ten times more likely to be hospitalized by it once you have symptoms, and ten times more likely to die from it once you have symptoms, with no cure and no vaccine. 

If you're old or compromised and don't want to die from the seasonal flu, you get a vaccine and stay away from people who have symptoms. That doesn't work for this coronavirus. Probably not for a year or more.

And yeah, if the infection rate spikes too high, which this virus is designed to do if we all just go about our business, the hospitals will be overwhelmed. Mortuaries, too.

But you all already know that. I guess it's more important to you to keep the American way of life intact, whatever that means to you.

I always knew that saying, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I just never really understood it until I've seen what's going on here.

But you all already know that. I guess it's more important to you to keep the American way of life intact, whatever that means to you.

Do not go down that direction with these replies or they will in fact be dealt with. Discussing this topic is fine but soon as you start with passive aggressive or slinging veiled insults from a political perspective (no matter what side a person slings them from) then that is where the line is drawn in this thread and we step in.

15 hours ago, redietz said:

Do you not eat sandwiches either?  Pretty much the same concept.  You put anything you want in them. 

Yep I do, but honestly the only type of sandwiches I eat are either grilled cheese or thin sliced deli turkey. I just don't care for any other type of sandwiches.

14 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Never had a taco????  I understand being a picky eater but what concerns do you have about a Taco? Perhaps you prefer burritos? 

No concerns. Just kind of set in my ways with what I eat. Just never had a taste for many things that most people enjoy when it comes to food.