Fly Tying
denduke

Coronavirus?

1 hour ago, dogfacedoc said:

FB_IMG_1585322754307.jpg

Creative thinking.  I can get on board with one of these...  But in line behind some other projects,  and back to #1 Octo hooks, later... after I roll out #14$$, have the vice, or vise dialed down ....👍👍😎😎🌮🌮✌️💥

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Do not go down that direction with these replies or they will in fact be dealt with. Discussing this topic is fine but soon as you start with passive aggressive or slinging veiled insults from a political perspective (no matter what side a person slings them from) then that is where the line is drawn in this thread and we step in.

It would not necessarily be a disservice to kill this thread..Denduke is OP....  and now not seeing a lot of fishing or tying themes here, even if it is the Lodge...

Brushing up against forum rules keeping this place a politics-free zone is like a verbal mine-field stroll... do not push your luck...

Extra Edit... 👀👀🔥🔥🔥🎣🎣😎😎

Edited by Flat Rock native
Warning from one who nearly got the FLY from Vise shut down for major & general breach of decorum"......

Just so everyone knows.There's  nothing actually wrong with discussing something like this here to a certain point. It's by far the most important thing going on in the world at the moment and it affects all our lives so discussing it is only natural. So for that reason alone there is no reason to close this thread as of now.

This is for everyone- With that said, it is simple common sense that needs to be used. When replying simply read what you are typing and ask yourself, am I replying to discuss the virus or am I replying with something to tell someone they are wrong politically?

Long as everyone sticks to actual discussion of what's going on with the virus itself and don't stray into the political realm, then it is okay to discuss. If it starts going down the wrong path then it will be handled at that point.

It's all good. These are trying times and we all cope with such times in different manners and ways. I choose not to allow panic and fear mongering rule my day. I have educated myself on the virus, as much as possible anyway. I have assessed my health and fitness level and I take The safety of others just as serious. Contrary to the beliefs of others, I am not an idiot. I don't want to get it so I maniacally follow all the precautions. My risks are low like 90% of the population. Perhaps your in the moderate risk group.  Perhaps you have serious underlying issues and are in the few percentile where  your protection from this is essential. If so, hunker down. 

chug brings up a good point of discussion. If you feel like me And don't believe COVID19 is going away anytime soon, when does the country start operating like a country again? When do people go back to work and when does small business start producing again? In two weeks, three weeks, a month or do we continue this way for the next year or two until a shot is developed. I say we get back to business now and learn to deal with it as we go since we are in it for the long haul. Again, this will require personal responsibility on each individual to protect themselves and others. It can be done without locking down the country. 

Those of you who believe this will go away in short order and all we have to do is hunker down for a few more weeks, I hope your right. However, there is nothing out there saying this is the case so it's time we get out of the fear and panic stage and get to living with COVID19 until a shot is developed. Those on the front lines Infer it will not be over in weeks because they only talk of slowing the spread and not its eradication. Personally, At this stage of my life I would rather catch the virus then take a shot that was rushed through the process out of fear and panic.

So what do we do? Close up for the next year or more and hope big brother feeds and pay my bills?  I say let's cut back on the fear and panic and return to a different sense of normal. 

Agree with @Steeldrifter we can't pretended like it doesn't exist on here but we have to be smart enough to not make it an attack on any specific group of people(race, political party, etc). I know I hope all of you are handling this ok and that both you and your family are well. 

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Personally, At this stage of my life I would rather catch the virus then take a shot that was rushed through the process out of fear and panic. 

Was wondering about this part myself.  Mass production driven by panic and haste does not seem conducive to producing a safe and effective vaccine for millions.  I'm chronic autoimmune via (possibly) vector born virus like Heartland or something similar from 10 years ago.  They tell me "no vaccines", I don't take meds, and never get sick.  Social distancing for others sake until mandated otherwise.

Guess I'll decline, hopefully non-carrier with antibodies present if tested.  

Just a quick timeline as I understand it:

1. The virus is identified late November/early December of 2019. (Hence the COVID-19 name)  This means the virus might well have been active and in motion well before then.  People in China very likely were catching, suffering with and getting over COVID-19 since some time before it was recognized.
  2. The world takes notice late in Jaunary.  This means that the virus had a full two months, maybe three or four, to be spread around the globe.  All over the place, people have been getting "flu" and going through all the flu like symptoms including death for some.
  3. February through today ... the numbers of people infected increases at alarming rates.  BUT, it is my firm belief that it is only the testing that has increased so dramatically.  The disease spreads, with carriers infecting others well before they actually suffer symptoms.  But I do not believe we went from two cases beginning of February, to 1000's all over the Country in less than two months.  It is only the testing that has spread, catching up to those infected.

It is contagious.  It is NOT fatal if you're healthy when you get it.  It might be fatal if you have some other condition that is exacerbated by this virus.

Be careful.  Clean up and clean yourself.  Act like you have it and don't want to spread it.  DON'T act like everyone else has it and you need to fear for your life around them.

Me?  I'm going fishing.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, mikechell said:

Orange County (Orlando) just declared a shelter in place order.  It goes into effect Thursday night at 11:00 PM.

I live in Volusia County and work in Orange County.  I don't know if I'll be a law breaker or not!

I wonder if we bypass survivors are at increased risk?  I had a clean bill of health every visit for 3 years, so I wonder if I am considered at risk.  I am over 60, male, and have mild asthma, however.  I am still seeing animal ER patients while taking precautions.   My staff says I should be staying home, but I am needed.  Our case load in MS is relatively low, but not Wyoming.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:47 AM, Swamp Fly said:

I can't imagine the pressure you are under being responsible for your employees and to a lesser extent the pet owners.  My folks adopted an older semi-stray mini pincher last summer, the family didn't want her any more.  While the dog was not physically abused per se, she was neglected, badly over weight, bad teeth to the point of a fractured jaw etc. Needless to say the dog goes to the vet a lot.  The dog had done something to her back or hips and was in pain so she needed to go in last week.  The vet has taken a novel approach to the situation, owners have to stay in their vehicles and the staff comes out and take the animals inside to be treated or just treat the animal outside.  It is essentially a drive through vet now.  Obviously not something you are in a position to do since your patients are much worse off than the average veterinary office "emergency".  People are coming up with unique ways of coping.

While I am not in your area, I still want to thank you for what you are doing especially since there is a risk to you and your staff.  Your job must be challenging enough under the best of circumstances given the nature of an emergency clinic.  We love our pets, yes even the "foul retched creature" who laying is currently at my feet trying to look cute enough for me to want to rub his belly.  I call him that on a regular basis so he doesn't get too proud of himself, I also tell him to go play in traffic but he summarily ignores me.  He is also known as Snorri my shelter rescued Norwegian Forest Cat. I don't want to thingk about a situation where he needed urgent care and none was available, so again thank you.

Swamp

Thank you.  Sorry I didn't respond earlier.  We are going to the car and taking the pet inside, as well.  We are calling it valet service.

I think the TP hoarding morons must have so much they can't hoard anymore, because I've seen a few places around here starting to have some in stock lately. Now if they would just stop hoarding other things like bread/cheese/meat etc etc that'd be great.

Only one more month, if everything goes well.

Edited by Mark Knapp

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.