Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pujic

Anyone Use Alevin Patterns

Hey guys,

I'm just curious if anyone has tried using alevin (sac fry) patterns for steelhead / salmon around the Great lakes? I know the folks out West swear by these patterns at the right time of year but I've heard very little when it comes to our fishers here.

If you've tried it, under what kinds of conditions have they been productive? I would assume that any slower water would be prime, including the mouth of tributaries, etc... but I've never tried it personally.

I tied a few up just in case but would like to have a better idea of exactly how and when to use them come Spring.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I've tried them a few times but I haven't had any luck with them. I have had good luck with small fry sized deer hair streamers for early spring steelhead. I usually tie them very sparce in typical steelhead colors green, white and red. I just allow it to drift down stream giving the line a twitch every now and then then let it swing around and bring it back with a slow retreive. One of the best flies for pre-spawn and early post spawn steelhead that you see rolling on the surface with little or no insect activity.

Ken cool.gif

White woolly buggers and marabou/tube jigs work. The general consensus is that these immitate small fish. Now that I tie, perhaps I'll lash a small orange bead to the underside of some streamers to see if it makes a difference on dropbacks this spring.

Sign in to follow this