Fly Tying
breambuster

Classic Dry Fly Round Of The Well-Stocked Fly Box

LTHIS SWAP IS FULL

Ok Guys, as promised, here is the 3rd round of the Well-Stocked Fly Box series. This round is for Classic or Catskill Style Dry Flies. I hope at least 1 of those 2 terms, Classic or Catskill will clarify the type of fly we are looking for. If anyone is still unsure, let me know and I will describe it for you. Now, you need to know that I am WAY out of my comfort zone in tying Dry Flies, but there are guys here who do amazing work and I hope some of them will join us on this round. The swap is open to anyone who wants in, whether you have participated in previous rounds or not. If you have participated in previous rounds, you STILL have to let me know that you want to join this one. The swap is limited to the first 12 people who sign up. All the rules are the usual rules that we always follow here. If you want to know all the rules, please refer to the first thread of the first round. If you know which pattern you will be tying, let me know when you sign up. If you are interested, the next round after this will be Parachute Dry Flies. These quick turn around swaps have been working great, so, lets keep it going.

BB

Swapmeister - Mr Rapidan - Completed

1 Flat Rock Native - Blue Quill Variant -Received

2 Professori - TBD - Received

3 Vicrider - H&L Variant - Received

4 Niveker - Henryville Special - Received

5 Dflanagan - Received

6 Fishingbobnelson - Received

7  Stabgnid - Received

8 Johnw1986 - Received

9 Mark Knapp - Royal Coachman -Received

10 r2732 - Royal Trude - Received

11 Woodenlegs - Renegade -Received

12   Pickin6ofem - Received.

THIS SWAP IS FULL

Are you using "Catskill" and "classic" as synonyms? Is a hair wing dry fly or a Wulff pattern "classic?/"

I know I said I was in for all 4, but count me out for this one. I am going to host a dry fly swap on the CFRF and I have some stuff to catch up on so I'll be too busy to take part in this. I would have liked to be part of this. Oh well.

Thanks for asking, r2732, because it means I haven’t clarified what I’m after. To me, a Classic or Catskill Dry Fly has a tail, a body, a wing, and a dry fly hackle wrapped around the shank of the hook at the wing. There are sub-categories, perhaps, that describe the wing material, etc, but they are all still “Classic” Dry Flies to me. I am leaving out of this Round flies like the Parachute, Comparaduns, Foam Flies, etc. I use the terms “Classic” and “Catskill” inter-changeably. The Mr Rapidan, which I will be tying, I hope, calls for a Kip Tail Wing, but after yesterday’s attempt, I may substitute some type of synthetic material instead. I would consider a Hair Wing or Wulff pattern to be Classic. The key is the type of hackle material and how it is tied in. Hope this helps. If anyone needs further clarification, let me know.

BB

I will tie as my primary fly a H&L Variant. It is a variation of the Wullf style and was the favorite of one of our fishing Presidents back when we had real men in that office. Dwight D. Eisenhower used to have the river at Camp David stocked with trout before any of his trips there. The natives in the area knew this and a couple of days after Ike's trip they'd hammer the abundant stocked trout as they worked there way downriver. I will have to get an order in since my white calf tail is sadly depleted. Will that today but just in case I don't get prompt shipment of good quality tail I will back it up with something like a Quill Gordon.

Nick

ps...The rumor is that the guide who tied of Ike's H&Ls made so much money from Ike's flies and all that he purchased from him to send to all his friends that he could afford a cabin on the river he loved. Also a story of Ike trying to teach Tricky Dick how to flyfish and Nixon put the first three attempts in a tree and hooked in the jacket with the fourth attempt and at that point he abandoned the idea of Dick being a fly fisherman.

Professori, you and Vicrider are in with pleasure. r2732, let me know for sure if you want in. Vic, thanks for the story. I enjoyed reading it.

BB

I'd like to take part again, please.

Probably a Wulff fly, will have to check my supplies before I decide which style.

I'm in. Pattern TBD

Thanks for asking, r2732, because it means I haven’t clarified what I’m after. To me, a Classic or Catskill Dry Fly has a tail, a body, a wing, and a dry fly hackle wrapped around the shank of the hook at the wing. There are sub-categories, perhaps, that describe the wing material, etc, but they are all still “Classic” Dry Flies to me. I am leaving out of this Round flies like the Parachute, Comparaduns, Foam Flies, etc. I use the terms “Classic” and “Catskill” inter-changeably. The Mr Rapidan, which I will be tying, I hope, calls for a Kip Tail Wing, but after yesterday’s attempt, I may substitute some type of synthetic material instead. I would consider a Hair Wing or Wulff pattern to be Classic. The key is the type of hackle material and how it is tied in. Hope this helps. If anyone needs further clarification, let me know.

BB

Using Macrame yarn in lieu of kip tail here, waaaaay easier to manage

Flat Rock Native, do you have any in a bright yellow? 😀

Guys, when I try to even the tips of kip tail in my hair stacker, nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the tips even?

BB

Flat Rock Native, do you have any in a bright yellow?

Guys, when I try to even the tips of kip tail in my hair stacker, nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the tips even?

BB

yes, brite yellow and about 35 other colors and lots of it. pm me an address and I will mail you mucho

Flat Rock Native, do you have any in a bright yellow?

BB

Either use a larger stacker, or a smaller clump of hair. Or--- even the tips before cutting them from the tail.