Fly Tying
breambuster

Classic Dry Fly Round Of The Well-Stocked Fly Box

Guys, when I try to even the tips of kip tail in my hair stacker, nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the tips even?

BB

Use white calf body hair instead of calf tail. Much nicer to even up.

p.s. I'll be tying up Bob Borden's Beetle Bug. It is one of the best dry fly searching patterns I have ever used and this will give me a chance to not only send some out in a swap, but to replenish my own supply before spring.

Guys, when I try to even the tips of kip tail in my hair stacker, nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the tips even?

BB

I try to do what I can with the hair stacker, but since it doesn't do a real good job of it, I'll further even the ends by hand. Or I'll use a synthetic like Flat Rock Native if I have it in the right color.

BB

I try to do what I can with the hair stacker, but since it doesn't do a real good job of it, I'll further even the ends by hand. Or I'll use a synthetic like Flat Rock Native if I have it in the right color.

I can help with your color choices.PM address. Will try to post a pic here of yarns... but have not mastered features on this site tho a moderator

Oils and dirt on the hair can prevent it from stacking right. Clean it first.

Static seemed to be one issue so dryer sheet solved one issue for me. Keeping the hair in the fly was also frustrating so I gave all my kips to vicrider and never looked back...

BB, since the mail seems to be working again, I am in. I took a class two years ago on Catskill Drys so this will be fun. Pattern TBD.

Al and Gretchen Beatty told me to; first look for tails that do not have a lot of curl. Then wash the tail in mild soap (Johnson's baby shampoo) and thoroughly rinse and dry. Be aware that some of the dye will wash out, so do not over wash. Before putting in the stacker, pull out the longer hairs from the tip and the shorter hairs from the butt.

Oops! John, I don’t know where my mind is. I almost forgot to add you to the lid. Glad I caught it in time. Also, dflanagan, Fishingbobnelson and Stabgnid, you guys are in also, and I’m very glad to have you all join us.

BB

This is way out of my area but I'd like to give it a try with a

red quill.

Please count me in.

thanks,

r dorlac

Aligning the tips with calf tail(kips tail) is difficult because the hair is kinky. This works for me:

1. grasp a clump of hair by the tips and putt it at a right angle to the tail and cut right next to the tail

2. still holding the hair by the tips brush out the short underfur.\

3. still holding the hair by the tips pull out all of the short hair. do not discard the short hair

4. take the stack of longer hair and the stack of short hair and bring them together with all of the tips aligned

5. repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a good looking stack