Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Ostrich scud

From attached Link. https://world-ostrich.org/standards/ostrich-feather-structure-and-quality/

Classifications of the width of the plumules:
1. very narrow (3 4mm)
2. narrow (5 6mm)
3. moderately wide (7 8 mm)
4. wide (9 10 mm)
5. very wide (11 12mm).

Lamplight Feather Inc : https://tonyhill.net/categories/ostrich-feathers-small-medium-and-large.html
My best guess for wider plumules or longer barbs would be to try a large wing plume from a mature male. I suspect you probably have feathers from a different part of the body, from a female, or a young bird which likely have shorter barbs.

The folks at Lamplight Feather should be able to help.

From attached Link. https://world-ostrich.org/standards/ostrich-feather-structure-and-quality/

Classifications of the width of the plumules:

1. very narrow (3 4mm)

2. narrow (5 6mm)

3. moderately wide (7 8 mm)

4. wide (9 10 mm)

5. very wide (11 12mm).

Lamplight Feather Inc : https://tonyhill.net/categories/ostrich-feathers-small-medium-and-large.html

My best guess for wider plumules or longer barbs would be to try a large wing plume from a mature male. I suspect you probably have feathers from a different part of the body, from a female, or a young bird which likely have shorter barbs.

The folks at Lamplight Feather should be able to help.

Thank you so much! Never been to those sites! The first was very informative, so basically yes Ive got low quality ostrich. The 2nd link is a good resource! I might get some pheasant tails also from there, good prices!

CE04F83B-BD34-4916-87B1-30F32BB12296.jpeg DD07B257-5AA1-434B-AF40-3A42FD7908A1.jpeg

Quickly tied Scud on #14 nymph hook, herl taken from the plume about 1/2 way up the stem, .40 or .45 from a plume purchased today at Sportsmens Warehouse in Sheridan, WY

Ya, way bushier than mine

McFly...

Used 2 white 1 orange herl, alternately wrapping each color separately. What I have learned is something mentioned in past threads- natural material can be very inconsistent. And , only way to get the size you are seeking is look over material and measure it with the hook you wish to fill, then purchase what meets your own needs. I would like to send you this plume... You can pay it forward in some other way. PM an address as I must visit the Post Office again this week. Peace out, Man

ps. I already have more white and picked up a really beautiful chartreuse plume that I must soon use for something..

Probably two of the most "perfect" ostrich plumes that I got from Shane Stalcup.
The olive one is actually olive/brown where he dipped it twice to get the color, olive first.
This is the perfect color for the scuds that I tie. It has really long barbules which turn
into excellent legs. You can tie many other things with it but I reserve it for my scuds

The rust color ostrich is what I use for my CDC Callibaetis. You can find this color in
the shops but usually not as dark as the this. It is a very deep reddish brown.

89356989_3136594183018535_57006543003556 

Thank you for the help kimo, yes those are some beautiful ostrich there.  Thanks for sharing.  What size flies you tying with those?  Would you agree that mine might be just too narrow of a hurl?  Like I should look for better hurl somewhere?  Or do you have any techniques to make the hurl stick out further and work for larger flies?  

#16 are my normal size but I tie #14 to #20.

Hareline as well as NS ostrich is not very good because they "burn" their herl during the bleaching process.

MFC at times will have some really good herl as well as colors.

Its not unusual for me to pick thru whatever a shop has on a wall. I wont MO ostrich or any natural material other than Whiting products because I don't know what lm going to get.

There is no technique that I know of that will make the barbules on ostrich stick out further.

Cool thanks kimo!  You answered my question.  I’m gonna have to just wait till I can sort through a shops merchandise myself.  Thanks for the info.  

Cool thanks kimo!  You answered my question.  I’m gonna have to just wait till I can sort through a shops merchandise myself.  Thanks for the info.  

Oh, isn't that neat. Embedded wire scud. Easy to figure how it's done, but not so easy to dream up. Really neat. Did I say that already? 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:13 AM, McFlyLures said:

Thank you for the help kimo, yes those are some beautiful ostrich there.  Thanks for sharing.  What size flies you tying with those?  Would you agree that mine might be just too narrow of a hurl?  Like I should look for better hurl somewhere?  Or do you have any techniques to make the hurl stick out further and work for larger flies?  

You may get some more mileage from your white herl by going to weighted pattern. The wire wraps will close the hook gape a bit🎣🎣🎣..just thinking out loud here😎

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Oh, isn't that neat. Embedded wire scud. Easy to figure how it's done, but not so easy to dream up. Really neat. Did I say that already? 

+1