Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Looking for source / advice

Not exactly a fly in the classic sense, but Im preparing for a trip where Ill get the chance to chase bonefish. I have plenty of classic bonefish flies tied up, but I also wanted to give my son the option to give it a try with his spin rod. As such, I was looking for jigs that would work on the flats for bones and found the attached lure.

It occurred to me that this pretty similar to the flies Ive tied, just on a jig head. Any advice on a place that sells a similar jig head? The place I found that wants $2 per head or $7 per complete lure which seems pricey. Id prefer to buy a dozen raw jig heads and paint and tie them myself. Anyone know where I could find a similarly shaped jig head? Looking something in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz head.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at the recipe or have advice on the differences for tying on a jig head instead of the typical salt hooks I use would be most welcome.

E-bay

10 TROLL RITE Jig Heads 1/2oz X STRONG HOOK Color Choice T&A JIGS SALTWATER

BONEFISH JIG HEADS Unpainted 3/16oz Permit jigs #1 or 1/0 hook steel or BN HOOK

BONEFISH JIGS 1/4oz 1/0 black nickel hooks Permit Flats Trout Redfish T&A JIGS

$.02. I tied some jigs to match my shrimp/critter flies. Not sure why any old light weight jig would work. Skimmer jigs is most recommended. Theres a post in WarmWater where I made a JikaFly. The new Ned jigs are a finesse deal and designed to stand the tails up. These are for reds/specks kinda big for bones but to give you idea maybe. Simple white jig with tan or white bucktail in small size prolly work.

DBFAB377-2605-46-C9-B471-F55-E947002-A2.

I have not tried this. But I was thinking of using a split shot or super glue a bullet cone shape sinker at the eye.

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like from the links posted that $1.50-$2.00 per jig head is around a fair market price. Appreciate the input and I'll just order the jig heads from the place where I originally saw them.

Thanks again!

Dave, I just saw this. I pour jigs & sell them as well as finished jigs. The pricing can vary a lot, but that $1.50 to $2 price for unfinished jigs of that style is right in the range that they should be at for retail.

When I've made that type of jig, I use a basic "Sparky" style, which is a little more rounded, but does the same thing. They can usually be obtained for a little less cost, but won't be much if you get them painted.

Finished jigs are priced as they are for two reasons, one is the time involved and of course markup, and the other can be they're specialty products that you'll generally only find for destinations, and that too usually increases the price.

This jig is what I use for that type of finished jig. They're usually 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 oz, with a size 2 to 1/0 hook. Then tying them is like tying a fly.

I don't have a mold for that flat, Bonefish style head, because I don't get many requests for them here in SC. I have customers who target Redfish with the jigs that I've shown, and I also have a version with a weed guard.

You're probably going to be fine with those you've found.

post-17678-0-63555200-1584077309_thumb.jpg