Fly Tying
The Mad Duck

#&^%^&%#%$#%$ Superglue

That's why after one experience with brushes... I quit using them.  I much prefer the small hard plastic tube that Krazy Glue comes in and use it like a tiny paint brush to apply just enough as needed (less is usually more with CA glues I've found...).  This pic shows it all since I also use the stuff in lieu of head cement on finished thread heads (particularly when I need to seal thread before painting eyes on it...) or just to place a very tiny amount on a specific spot as part of the tying regime....

8yLxKj0.jpg

What  I used to tell my students (I actually ran fly tying classes years and years ago...) was to carefully squeeze the tube until they could see the glue - then place it where it was needed.  That way it's much easier to get the precise amount needed.  Once a bit of glue is on the thread you can then use the end of the tube like a paint brush to distribute it evenly as needed... 

Hope the helps

On 3/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, The Mad Duck said:

I have NEVER seen the bottom of a plastic bottle separate like that before either. Such a mess!!!

That happened to me once and the bottom of the bottle is still stuck to me desk. How can I remove it?

1 hour ago, feathers5 said:

I guess I better let well-enough alone.

Have you tried acetone?  It may need to soak for a while, maybe rub it in with a toothbrush or similar.  

12 hours ago, niveker said:

Have you tried acetone?  It may need to soak for a while, maybe rub it in with a toothbrush or similar.  

Hi. I'll have to try it. It's not a beautiful finish I'm worried about, but will it eat the wood, HA?

A good, sharp edge, like a single edged razor blade, will let you cut/chip off any mound of adhesive.  Then sandpaper it down smooth.

I can't stand bumps and stuff on my table top.  Even small drops of cement, if I don't get them wiped up, are smoothed/sanded/scraped off.

37 minutes ago, feathers5 said:

will it eat the wood, HA?

Not the wood, but will probably take off any finish that's on the wood. 

Its the basic ingredient in most nail polish removers, but you have to read the labels as some nail polish removers are non-acetone.  A product called "Good-Off" is also pretty good for removing stuff like that, you can get it at Wal-Mart around here.  I think it is also acetone based, but at a higher concentration than nail polish remover.  

Loctite Super Glue is the best you can buy.  It comes in a spill-proof bottle, and because of the bottle design it will last much, much longer than other super glues without drying out.  A unique feature of the bottle is the way it is designed.  You squeeze the sides of the bottle to bring the glue out the tip of the nozzle.  It doesn't pour like other bottles.  Try it, you won't use anything else as it is truly a better product than the competition.  No affiliation.

Nope, I don't think so.  Won't break down the superglue, as far as I know.  

It works on soft adhesives, but it doesn't work on plastic.  I think cured superglue is like a plastic.

But, if you have some, never hurts to try.

Wow! I didn't know that could happen. We've been using S-glue since the late 60s. Sorry for your problem. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com