Fly Tying
DarrellP

Classic Steelhead fly swap

Fine with me I would not mind do 2 patterns if needed ..

Steve-stabgnid

Let's give it a few days, but yeah, two is a way to deal with it.  This will be fun.  I know Steeled are much less available than Trout ot panfish, and difficult.  But the flies tied for them are really pretty and fun to tie.

Either two patterns or two of one pattern from each tyer is great with me. I'm working on a couple of different patterns and still don't have it locked in yet. 

ok, I am in with an Orange Steelheader, building them on a tube, if that counts as “Classic” and I look forward very much to adding some awesome patterns to my hoard, I mean, Kenduardo's Museum of Prototypes...

Ok guys, over halfway there.  Now I need to find those hooks.  I am in the middle of reorganizing.  Moving furniture.  Then after my wife looks at it for a few days, moving it again.  Mostly because she bought an eliptical machine. At least this gives us family time!  

I'm in, been tying some Steelhead flies for family in Oregon and Washington.  Will tie my home water's Rogue River Special.  This was originally tied on a double hook, but will tie on single hooks for the swap.

What have you been tying For your family Bob ??? 

Steve-stabgnid

I will be tying the Black Gordon 

Steve-stabgnid

Have been working out the wrinkles on a couple of flies. Not directly tied of named patterns but using the designs normally used.

This one is in need of some refinement but is going to be one of two IF we go that way. Second one is one that is going to go.

DSCF5597.JPG

DSCF5595.JPG

here is my selection to be donated to the swap and to be randomly distributed by the swapmeister to the swappers

there will be 12 flies in total. one for each swapper. if the swap does not fill up by the deadline, the swapmeister can keep the remaining flies of his choosing

first-six.jpg

second-six.jpg

Flytire, looking at yours and mine I have tried to keep the wings fairly thin but it still looks like I'm getting them two heavy. I'm using squirrel with two different colors overlaid. Should I thin them down even more?

i too started tying steelhead and atlantic salmon flies with somewhat heavy wings. after looking a professionally tied examples shown on various websites, ive cut back on the amount of winging material

it a judgement call for you to make on how much you want in the wing

i also noticed a red band of thread on the head. there are literally no steelhead or atlantic salmon flies that use that carrie stevens method on heads. however it too is a judgement call for you to make