Fly Tying
DarrellP

Classic Steelhead fly swap

Thanks.  I like the curve of his.  Have tied several on his irons.  Have not seen any McNeese hooks in hand, but photos appear quite similar to Alec Jackson hooks.

We have 4 sets of flies plus the gift from Norm.  Nice work, guys.  Cphubert's flies came in last night.

Coal train headed out on Monday, 24 tagged and bagged, ponds open so taking the rejects for a live swim test this weekend.

3622E154-2133-435A-BBF4-92CA47B6B6AF.jpeg

Edited by Flat Rock native
This one may be swimming soon

Just an update on my contribution to the swap, as I had some trouble getting supplies.  I'll now be tying a Grizzly King (hair wing).  Still waiting on hooks, though.  If they're not here by Monday, I'll have to use down eye streamer hooks.   

Nice!  Those Rusty Rats are cool.

Niveker, a lot of the old Steelhead flies were on down eye hooks.  Not sure when they changed, but the best I can tell is that trout guys used down eyed and Salmon guys used Salmon hooks.  Of course, during the war years they probably used what they could get..

On 4/18/2020 at 7:55 PM, DarrellP said:

Nice!  Those Rusty Rats are cool.

Niveker, a lot of the old Steelhead flies were on down eye hooks.  Not sure when they changed, but the best I can tell is that trout guys used down eyed and Salmon guys used Salmon hooks.  Of course, during the war years they probably used what they could get..

I still see  steelhead and salmon flies tied on bronzed down eye hooks when traveling the north country, usually buy a few flies and things to support local shops and guides and thank them for any advise they give.   

Not that it matters, but all my hooks that are marked "Steelhead hooks" have a down-eye, and all of them that are marked "salmon flies" are up-eye. I think it's a fairly new thing. The ones marked "salmon/steelhead are up-eye.